TMRC's Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All I can say is that was my experience with 1 firemouth and one blue acara. Then 6 firemouths only. So I wouldn't base your decision on just my experience.

Update time, I can't express how happy I am with my 60 gallon lake Malawi tank.

The acei and yellow labs are very active and look great free swimming. The peacock tank boss has accepted them all and this tank has never had this much balance. Its truly awesome to see a balanced ecosystem come to fruition. The red top zebra has taken up nicely and isn't aggressive towards the others. As soon as I can get the convict out I'll be at a perfect balance. The bumblebee currently inhabiting the tank she will go in will be sold next Saturday and I can catch her.

Current stocking
2 peacock cichlids
5 yellow tail acei
4 electric yellow labs
1 red top zebra
1 rainbow shark
1 soon to be moved convict

On a side note I'm extremely impressed with the NLS thera A+ food. These guys devour it and I've seen a nice touch of color added to each fish. The male peacock is practically glowing, a big thanks to MikeM for recommending it.

Started the cycle on my saltwater tonight, more updates on it soon.
I'm getting some nice plant growth in my nano tank, I will get some pics of it up this weekend too.

Looking good! Glad the NLS is working for you.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks RD83, and mike- yeah I've been very happy with it. I want to get some of their specialty cichlid food to increase variety. Does NLS offer spirulina flakes? If not I'll have to look to hikari for that.

Now on the salty side, the shrimp is turning my water slightly cloudy, no one mentioned this, just wondering if this is normal? Its my first time fishless cycling a saltwater tank.

Thanks RD83, and mike- yeah I've been very happy with it. I want to get some of their specialty cichlid food to increase variety. Does NLS offer spirulina flakes? If not I'll have to look to hikari for that.

Now on the salty side, the shrimp is turning my water slightly cloudy, no one mentioned this, just wondering if this is normal? Its my first time fishless cycling a saltwater tank.

I have NLS flakes though I'm not home at the moment, let me get back to you with an ingredient list to see if it has spirulina.

My water was cloudy for a while during my salty cycle.

Caleb

Im still jealous of your salty tank.... I want one. Glad to hear the male hansbaensci is mellowing. Sounds like the pecking order has finally established.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Poppa- my LFS doesn't carry cobalt, if its that good I will order it, I have no experience with it. Also yep, some roommates have helped greatly with his attitude, not that it was ever really a threat, more just posturing. Peacocks ya know, lots of bark not a lot of bite.

Caleb- I'm looking for some specifically just spirulina flakes to help with my aceis veggie needs. And great to hear that about the SW tank.

Jesse- same deal, never heard of zoomed, wait, as I'm reading that I'm thinking zoo-med? Lol, gotcha I think.

Poppa again- come on over to the salty side, I saw that stack of tanks you have, very low overhead in a nano, no skimmer, sump...

And what is your name by the way, I like to be able to address you guys directly, not a screen name. If you're OK with that.

Right, I actually remember that, I was pretty surprised to see them there. I use some of their reptile products and most are considered sub par, glad to see their fish food is better.

Caleb- give me a few, unfortunately the photo hosting on this forum is very limited so I'm having to upload to outside sites now and link. Really wish the forum creators would help that out, it was so quick uploading from my phone through the app. But I digress. Really enjoying the new saltwater tank. I feel like you have to be more hands on with these than a FW tank and I've liked that aspect. Can't wait to begin stocking.

Right, I actually remember that, I was pretty surprised to see them there. I use some of their reptile products and most are considered sub par, glad to see their fish food is better.

Caleb- give me a few, unfortunately the photo hosting on this forum is very limited so I'm having to upload to outside sites now and link. Really wish the forum creators would help that out, it was so quick uploading from my phone through the app. But I digress. Really enjoying the new saltwater tank. I feel like you have to be more hands on with these than a FW tank and I've liked that aspect. Can't wait to begin stocking.

Me and Imgur are good friends now as I hit my limit recently as well :)

Caleb

Terrible news, I rescaped the guppy tank and the male got stuck under a rock crevice, I found him nearly dead and he passed shortly after. I'm going to get a younger male from my friend and reboot, this male was over 2 years old. I'm going to rescape the portion he got trapped in as well.

I have an acei female holding in my 60 gallon, I'm surprised to see that this early.

I haven't got pics up yet, my other love, racing, has kept me very busy the last few days. Will get some up soon.

Guppies are never easy to keep for long periods

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I picked up the first member of my Central American tank build today. Its hanging out in the bag acclimating, just caught the bumblebee, he is going to a pet store. Its bitter sweet, I've had him for well over a year and a half. He started at about 1.5 inches but as he hit the 5 inch mark he just became too aggressive. He has been housed alone for 4 1/2 months. I'll give the new addition some time to settle in before introducing the convict.

Thanks for the interest guys, its nothing too exciting. My superb LFS has a 55 devoted to juvie centrals. I purchased what is supposed to be a juvie thorichthys meeki however the guy I dealt with said they had housed a few thorichthys species in this tank such as maculipinnis, pasionis and another one I wasn't familiar with. He was pretty knowledgeable and was fairly certain it was a meeki but when I mentioned my involvement here he suggested checking for a positive ID which worried me slightly. Regardless I'm happy for any of the above, I do believe its a meeki though. I'll get some pics today or tomorrow.

It is, I was afraid I would have to order but to find them locally where I could "get pick of the litter" was a nice bonus. They only deal with top of the line breeders at this store, its hobbyist owned and the stock will make your mouth drop. Just their saltwater stock alone is easily in the $50,000 range even at their buying price, easily $20,000 in cichlids, its absolutely phenomenal for the location and size of the store. I'm very confident in the lineage of this thorichthys, there fish are all magnificent.

Lucky to have an LFS of that caliber. I live in an area with ~175k people, and there are only 5 privately owned pet stores, and 3 of them suck majorly with the remaining two being "okay". Only one specializes in aquatics only, and they aren't too hot either lol.

Jesse

Back
Top Bottom