Tom's bumps/lumps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FranTom

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm back (previously posted about my 30g tank doing a mini cycle --- that has been resolved). Over a year ago my brother-in-law bought my 4 year old son a red cap fantail whom he named Tom. I unexpectantly fell in love with Tom. Tom now lives in a 30g tank with Francisco (calico fantail), 1 albino cory (Rosie), and 2 octocolus catfish (Emery & Maggie). All seem to be happy, active, friendly, eating, etc.

About three weeks ago Tom seemed to have a bit of a growth spurt. His overall size is bigger and his belly is bigger - always slightly bigger on his leg side than the right. About two weeks ago I notice two slight lumps on his belly on the left side - the lumps right next to each other. The lumps have since gotten a bit bigger. No loss of scales, bleeding, open wounds. No change in Tom's behavior.

After extensive online research I'm totally freaked out. Maybe it's an infection, parasite, bacterial, virus, tumor, etc. I've pretty much concluded its all and none of these. What to do? Seems like no matter what I read, it's never a nice outcome.

I have taken pics and included them. He's fast - so it's hard to get a clear pic. Plus, being white, it doesn't show well in pics. (And Francisco keeps photo bombing and I end up with his face front and center!) I will keep trying.

Thanks. :)

Attachments

• image-1430813938.jpg
    image-1430813938.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 100
  • image-1636901305.jpg
    image-1636901305.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 101
  • image-3661278588.jpg
    image-3661278588.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 102
So, I do nothing?? :( maybe he can still live another 15+ years with a couple of lumps??

Honestly I don't know. I know there was another guy on here that had a comet with tumors all over and they were caused by something mundane and were harmless. What sort of worries me is that you said he has always sort of been bigger on that side so I am thinking they could just be growing larger and just nos broken the skin.

Actually, the lopsided topview appearance indicates your fish is not he, but a she. In your 3rd pic, there is a side view of another white fish as well- this fish appears to have a lump on its side as well? Do the lumps appear superficial or do they seem to be pushing through muscle and tissue? How do your parameters look?

I was hoping you would reply!! :) thanks so much for responding!

That is the reflection of Tom (obviously we need to rethink her name) in the 3rd pic. There are only two goldfish in the tank, 1 albino cory, two octocolus catfish --- everyone else seems happy and healthy. The two bumps are under her scales, but I don't think under her muscle.

I'll test the water again today and let you know. Last time with API (last week) everything looked fine, but they have had two pwc since then.

She is acting very lively and friendly (as always) and actually seems to be more eager to eat than her usual self (if that can even be). She had kale yesterday and pellets this morning. Today is their day to get bloodworms, but I wasn't sure if I should?

i was reading an article from a magazine i got at petco and the guy had said he had his goldfish for fifteen years and then it started growing a lump so he brought it to an exotic vet and they will do an xray. depending on how much money you have, of course.

I can't even find a local vet that will see a goldfish. :( My next-door neighbor is a vet but doesn't know much about goldfish...

Update: Here is the latest API test results.

pH 6.8
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 20ppm

This was before their 40% water change (which I do twice a week with spring water + Prime).

Should I add salt because of Tom's bumps?? I have never done so before. She still seems totally normal.

Thanks!

Attachments

• image-1442036735.jpg
    image-1442036735.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 88
No salt yet and thanks for your parameters! Is your ph normally this low? It looks more like 6.6 to 6.4 to my eyes. This may be something we need to address a bit further as its on the low side of things for goldies.

Ok, tell me a bit more about the lumps. Are they firm or soft/fluid filled? Did they appear overnight or gradually? Do you mind if I ask where you live- I don't need specifics but I can help with finding an aquatic vet if you are in the US and can give me a state locale.

No salt yet and thanks for your parameters! Is your ph normally this low? It looks more like 6.6 to 6.4 to my eyes. This may be something we need to address a bit further as its on the low side of things for goldies.

Ok, tell me a bit more about the lumps. Are they firm or soft/fluid filled? Did they appear overnight or gradually? Do you mind if I ask where you live- I don't need specifics but I can help with finding an aquatic vet if you are in the US and can give me a state locale.

Yeah, my pH is always this low. I used to worry about it - thought about adding a shell or two and see if it will go up - but I keep reading that goldies are okay with low pH just as long as its stable. I have no idea why it's so low. The girl at our LFS said it's because I have too much air (filter made for a 50g and a curtain of bubbles), but I'm not sure where she got that from.

They feel like the rest of her body - but they look fluid filled when the light shines on them just right (could be her pearly white color). It's hard to get a good feel of her - she freaks out when I hold her, and when I pet her (which she doesn't mind) I can't really feel anything different. I could salt bathe her to relax her -- but I don't want to mess with her too much and stress her out. They appeared gradually - over a span of about two weeks and they seem to be staying the same size this past week.

I live in Minnesota - about two hours north of the Twin Cities (rural area w/ not much but a University which my husband teaches at - we moved here from NY - and cannot believe the lack of services).

Thanks again! I so appreciate your time you have given me (and Tom). :)

Tonight, before I turned off their lights, I watched Tom swim through the bubble curtain on the back of the tank for about 30 minutes (with a few small breaks to look for food). She seems to be getting a bit assertive with Francisco whenever I drop food in - which has caused Francisco (who is slightly bigger) to chase her off for a couple of seconds. I maybe paranoid, but I feel like her entire left side is really big -- almost twice the size of her right side. This is normal?

A few pictures of her in the bubbles and tried to get another top view.

Attachments

• image-3829475522.jpg
    image-3829475522.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 72
  • image-2597328833.jpg
    image-2597328833.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 72
  • image-422764228.jpg
    image-422764228.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 81
  • image-1870862993.jpg
    image-1870862993.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 71
I had a cichlid that had bumps like that, he lived for four years. My buddy is a biologist and he said he thought they were cancerous tumors. Before the fish died its health droped rapidly, it lost weight very fast even though it still ate like a pig.

Goldfish are prone to odd tumors and growths, however, I don't believe this is necessarily what you are dealing with here. Her side is definitely more swollen and it appears that her eyes may be starting to bulge slightly. The bulging side could be due to egg development but combined with lumps and eye appearance, I am bit concerned she may have an aeromonas infection or another infection occurring. Lab diagnostics would be necessary to positively ID the causative factor. Give me a little bit and I will post some vet info you. I would like to come back to your ph a bit later but lets work on the priority first.

Ok, not much for Mn but here you go! I can not guarantee the numbers are current but you can google each Dr in the event they are not.

Dr Kiser/Lexington Vet Clinic (highly spoken of)
Eagan Mn
651-452-5450/651-317-8523

Dr Foster
InverGrove Mn
651-455-2258

Dr Howe
Grand Rapids Mn
218-326-9668

It also may worth calling U of Mn College of Vet Med for referrals as they likely will be able to provide info and may even have a clinic. Some vet schools see patients but not all of them. Please keep us posted!!

Oh man. The closest is 3 hours away from us! I'm going to call around the university and see (u of M is 2 hrs from us).

Is there another option? Can I buy some antibiotics at the LFS? I hate to do that not knowing what I am treating, but my husband is also out of the country on business and won't be back for 3 weeks... And I have two small kids that would need to tag along. :(( I really want to help Tom.

You can try calling around to your local vets (particularly, anyone dealing with exotics) and see if they deal with fish or know someone that does. For meds/antibiotics, you need something internal. You can try a course of MediGold from the Goldfish connection but if a vet is a possible option, please do so as he can be treated specifically. Good luck and please keep us posted!

I called a few clinics today. None will look at or run labs on poor Tom. And I think you are right about his eye slightly bulging. My neighbor who is a vet (but doesn't treat fish - and between feeding our two pugs organic homemade raw foods and using Chinese medicine to treat them - and now seeking vet treatment for our goldfish .... I think he thinks I'm some kind of crazy) suggested some tea tree water treatment from Petsmart. I am ordering medigold for now -- but I will still try to find a vet that will treat her.

Should I bother with the tea tree stuff while waiting for the vet/medigold?? Poor Tom. Is this because of the pH? I feel terrible.

I don't think tea tree stuff (melafix) does anything more than healthy water. Sometimes goldfish have bad reactions to it as well. I would personally skip it.

Although on the low side, its very unlikely your ph created any major issues here. Unfortunately, goldfish are prone to quite a few issues, especially fancies, so don't beat yourself up! We will try our best to get her healthy!

Sadly, the saga continues. So one bump went away. Just one morning it was gone. The lower one got bigger and another smaller lump developed. I started media-gold June 11. Then, my other goldfish (Francisco) started having white long thin poops. After a couple of nights reading everything I could find online... I thought maybe I have flukes. I ordered aqua-prazi and dosed their tank yesterday. This morning his lumps looked like human pimples with a white head on it. Just looked at it now and it appears the bigger "pimple" has white pus coming out (in small hard chunks). Francisco has no lumps or bumps. Tom is eating and swimming as normal, although now he hides from me when I come close. :(

Am I doing this all wrong???

Back
Top Bottom