Too many bubbles in tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blakskall

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, ive began the process of starting up my tank, 2 days ago i mixed saltwater in the tank for the initial start up, i waited for the temp to reach 75 with my heater, yesterday i installed my powerhead and filter. I think ive reached the correct salinity im aiming for. Now i've hooked up my tank lights and they look great, the only problem is with the combination of my powerhead and filter it puts alot of "fizzy" bubbles in my tank and it doesnt look so great, any advice to fix this? i have a emperor penguin filter and a petco powerhead

I have the exact same problem with my tank. I have a Petco powerhead too.

anyone think it has something to do with the petco powerhead?

Raise the water level to minimize water surface disturbance(less bubbles). I don't think the powerhead has anything to do with that except spreading the bubbles being produced by the splashing water from the penguin. Bio-wheel creates micro bubbles. I took them out just to see if there will be less bubbles and there was less. I'm not saying for you to take it out. All I'm saying is it's contributing with bubbles.

Last edited:
Raise the water level to minimize water surface disturbance(less bubbles). I don't think the powerhead has anything to do with that except spreading the bubbles being produced by the splashing water from the penguin. Bio-wheel creates micro bubbles. I took them out just to see if there will be less bubbles and there was less. I'm not saying for you to take it out. All I'm saying is it's contributing with bubbles.

i tryed it without the biowheel and yes there was a small change and i increased the water level that gave it a slight change, but i really think the powerhead has something to do with it, it just pours out white bubbles that fizzes the water

Is the PH completely submerged? I have a top fin PH that when the water level drops and the top part of the PH is exposed. It sucks in air and creates micro bubbles.

Last edited:
Is the PH completely submerged? I have a top fin PH that when the water level drops and the top part of the PH is exposed. It sucks in air and creates micro bubbles.

the nozzle is completely submerged

The only reason it is blowing bubbles is because it is sucking in bubbles. Is the WHOLE THING submerged or just the part where it sucks in water?

Try submerging the whole thing and see if there's a difference.

Also there's an inlet for airhose tubing on my powerhead. If you're not running airline tubing in there, make sure it is capped off.

will it still put out a current if i take the air hose off?

i think i understand, the air hose was aerating the water that it was putting out, hence the bubbles

I have the air hose on mine also and have the bubbles. If I take off the hose like you did, what do I cap it off with?

Buffy said:
I have the air hose on mine also and have the bubbles. If I take off the hose like you did, what do I cap it off with?

You don't have to. As long as it is underwater it won't suck in any air. I didn't cap mine.

Back
Top Bottom