Too much flow for shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stinnettjosh

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just how much flow is too much fir shrimp?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If it's blowing them around and don't have a lot of good places to rest and scrape algae then I'd say it's to much. Personally I'd just go with sponge filters and be done with it

Sent from my VS950 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If it's blowing them around and don't have a lot of good places to rest and scrape algae then I'd say it's to much. Personally I'd just go with sponge filters and be done with it

Exactly right to the point !!! For those that do have HOB's, typically a sponge pre-filter is used on the intake tube to keep them from getting sucked in. Shrimp tanks really don't need much but light circulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Not to change the subject too much, but I've been slowly falling in love with the idea of putting some red cherry shrimp in my tank, and have been looking into what I would have to do to do it. I've noticed that the intake (45 gallon, Fluval C4, just in case it matters) seems to not suck up anything more than 1/4 to maybe 1/2 inch away from it. Is that really too much suction?

Exactly right to the point !!! For those that do have HOB's, typically a sponge pre-filter is used on the intake tube to keep them from getting sucked in. Shrimp tanks really don't need much but light circulation.

I wouldn't chance it.. shrimp will gather around filters. They love the bio, algae and whatever grows on them..

Undisputed. Just pointing out what many others have done.

Oops my bad I quoted you wrong. I agree with everything you said haha I wish I would have said it. I meant to quote the person that commented after you ;)

Hmm, that's something I hadn't thought about before.

In your case I'd probably give what treemanone suggested

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom