Too Much Water Changes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
With animals in there, you're looking at PWC daily, and keeping track of your parameters very closely. The best test kit is the API Master Test Kit.

If you could give them to a friend with an established tank, and room, until you finish a fishless cycle, it won't be so hard on you or the fish and snail.

Eco23 wrote an article on fishless cycling that is wonderful, or the sticky, I think it's a sticky, about in fish cycling is helpful. I would link them, but can't on my iPod.

yep but i have don't my PWC everyday. I check the parameters before and nothing has really changed. Yes i have the API master test kit recommended by everyone on this forum. Well im pretty much the only friend who actually has fish. Weird.... I have no other tanks and cant go back to the store. Ill be searching for Eco23 Thanks!

Hi there. i would suggest testing everyday and when you see ammonia do a pwc. you have such a light bioload your'e probaly not giving the ammonia a chance to develop and get to the next step of nitrites.

:)

Oh yeah, I just remembered what a small bioload both bettas and apple snails have. Blame it on my tiredness.

As soon as ammonia reaches .25 or over, do a water change. Is there any way you could get seed material, like from a lfs or someplace? That will help drastically. It basically instantly cycled my tank for my frog and snail when I had to move them very quickly to a ten gallon from a much too small tank.

lfs nor petland let me, they just directed me to the gravel section and told me "they are all the same".

Let us know what your levels are in a few days. it will take awhile but it can be done safely. :)

Good Luck!

LOL pet store.

Wow. So seeding isn't an option. Sorry. I'm not sure what else to recommend. I'll probably think of something after I get some sleep! :)

We should work out chain of people who would be willing to ship gravel and filter sponges to people. I'm in Florida so not sure how long the gravel would last as far as bacteria.

I have 7 tanks 6 cycled as of now so I always have stuff lol

For freshwater substrates are basically the same, the exception is for cichlids which is designed with carbonate rocks to keep a high ph level. Other than that its pretty much personal choice.
You can try and to a manager at petland and see if they will give you a chunk of used filter when they change it its not the best option but might be the best you have.
How big of a tank do you have? I know many betta tanks are quite small, and if he feels cramped everyday because you remove 30% of the water he could get stressed. If after a pwc you still have high ammonia certainly you should start with larger pwc's again but until then try doing less when you do. We can't stress enough that you need ammonia to start your cycle, but it is poisonous to fish so you're going to have to walk a fine line using a fish-in cycle.

I agree with carey, and don't do water changes if you haven't detected any ammonia. And IMO I wouldn't do more than 20% PWC daily when you do have ammonia. Those bettas are pretty hardy, but you need some ammonia so it can help the cycle get started.

I change 50% or more of my water regularly, as do many folks here. If cycling with fish, it may take longer, but I like to keep the ammonia at 0.25 ppm or less, for the sake of the health of the fish.

Yep well pretty much all i can do is wait for ammonia to go up and start doing PWC again.

Back
Top Bottom