top dwelling fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ematthews

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I am looking to get some fish to fill in the upper half of my 20 gallon planted tank and I was looking for some ideas of fish that would be compatible with mine. My stock list is as follows:

1 pearl gourami
5 black phantom tetras
4 peppered Cory catfish

Any ideas? I have thought about hatchet fish but I have some gaps in my lid that they could jump out of. Any one with experience with that?

You can add 6 platies, and still be at 97% stocked(according to aqadvisor) they like to swim all around, but mine mostly stay at the top. However, I personally, wouldn't add more that 2 maybe 3. If you go with platies, I would suggest getting either male or female only. They breed like crazy!

You can add 6 platies, and still be at 97% stocked(according to aqadvisor) they like to swim all around, but mine mostly stay at the top. However, I personally, wouldn't add more that 2 maybe 3. If you go with platies, I would suggest getting either male or female only. They breed like crazy!

yeah I typically don't like live breeders but I will check them out nonetheless

That is true, they would probably benefit from the live snacks!

I have two platies that are going to give birth any day now. My two blue gouramis have been following them around for two days now. They are waiting for a snack!

I have two platies that are going to give birth any day now. My two blue gouramis have been following them around for two days now. They are waiting for a snack!

Haha wow they are persistent!

4 or so marbled hatchetfish would be cool. They have a very unique shape, and don't often venture far from the top of the tank.

4 or so marbled hatchetfish would be cool. They have a very unique shape, and don't often venture far from the top of the tank.

Yeah I thought about that but I've read they like to jump out of the tank, do you have experience with that?

Although hatchetfish can jump out of a tank with no lid, it is not all that common. If a hatchetfish jumps out of a tank, it will do so for the same reasons any other fish would.

Whenever I see hatchetfish in fish stores, they are always kept in tanks with no lids. I always ask if they ever experience jumpers. There reply is always the same: no.

David

Where I work I have had the hatchet fish jump up of the top tanks. I'd had them actually land on people. And I'm not kidding. Them guys and the koi, I'm always putting them up off the floor....

Do I have to make sure all gaps in my lid are covered or can I leave some for my filter and heater?

Do I have to make sure all gaps in my lid are covered or can I leave some for my filter and heater?

U can leave them for ur filter and heater. I have eels and u know eels love to escape. They haven't ever escaped on me so I'd say ur safe

U can leave them for ur filter and heater. I have eels and u know eels love to escape. They haven't ever escaped on me so I'd say ur safe

Ok cool. I think I'll get some marble hatchets :).

Back
Top Bottom