Topping off Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeanerOH

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I believe I am at the point that my tank needs topped off for the first time and I was wondering - Do I add enough dechlorinator for the whole tank and then add water, guess the amount needed into a bucket and then treat and add, etc?

Thanks for the help.

Eric

If you are using a python or other water changer that attaches to your faucet, you need to dose enough dechlorinator for the entire volume of your tank. If you are simply vacuuming out a portion of your water by using a bucket, you only need to treat the water that you have in the bucket.
Just be sure that you match the temperature of your tank when you add the water.

Hi Eric! Welcome to AA!!! What type of water change schedule do you have? Tanks dont typically need a top off if your on a regular maintenance schedule but I know theres exceptions based on the climate you live in. If this needs to be done in between weekly (or more frequent) water changes, you just need to treat the buckets of water your adding to the tank rather than the whole tank. If your using a water changer system such as a python to add water, you need to treat the whole tank. Hope this helps! :)

This is actually my very first water change with fish in the tank (be proud to be the firsts to help me). Should I aim for 25%? It's only a 10g tank so it makes me nervous to take so much water out. I have a simple vacuum pump to do this with and I should note this is my first tank and I am extremely new to the hobby (fish added 11/25/12).

Is your tank cycled?

Do you have a liquid test kit?

The most common mistake with new tanks is someone setting it up and just throwing fish in the water.

Yes my tank is cycled (although I am in the process of getting the liquid test kit instead of trusting the LFS). I did a fishless cycle 11/5/12 after reading some of the pros online and only have 3 black widow tetras in there right now since they are very hardy for a newly cycled tank.

I am extremely worrisome naturally so I would never put the fish in a tank that could be potentially deadly.

A 20-25% pwc weekly should be fine.

Don't be surprised if very shortly you are browsing Craigslist classifieds looking for your next tank. Lol. This hobby can be very addictive.

Definitely get yourself a good liquid test kit such as API fw master test kit. Most lfs sell them but they are cheaper online at Amazon, big Als, any aquatic retailer.

Do you know what your numbers are for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & ph? Does your lfs use strips or liquid? I would be surprised that your tank would be cycled in 20days if your did it from scratch (no cycled media)- typically it takes 4-8wks to fishless cycle a tank from scratch with a good ammonia source.

Depending on your numbers, you may need to do anywhere from 25-50% water change right now. If you have any ammonia and/or nitrite present, then your tank is still cycling and you will need to be viligent on daily testing and water changes as needed to keep toxins under control. Some more info will help to make suggestions!

I was planning on getting the kit, testing the water, doing a 25% and seeing the difference in levels (if any) afterwards. I already wanted a bigger tank for the first onebut money dictated otherwise. I am pretty addicted for my first tank, my first month, and my first 3 fish. LOL

So did you cycle the tank with pure ammonia? If so you're probably good to go. If not you're likely doing a fish-in cycle. Give this guide a read: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Until you get your test kit I'd do a 50% water change with dechlorinator to be on the safe side.

Also FYI Black Widow Tetra prefer groups of at least 5; they can be aggressive toward one another so a larger group will minimize the aggression. They tend to be fairly active too and grow to about 2" so some may say they need a bigger tank than a 10 gal. A shoal of 5 Black Widows in a 10 gal will almost fully stock it.

I did cycle with ammonia and then had the water tested at the LFS before I put the BW tetras in the tank. I can totally do a 50% change just to be safe. Newbie question: when I do that it is going to take the water down below the heater/filter fill lines. Do I turn these things off until I get the new water in? It seems to make sense, but I don't want to mess anything up.

Its a good safety practice to turn heaters/filters/electrical appliances off before sticking your hands in the tank for water changes (or any other reason). It will also keep your filter motor/heater from being burned out from lack of water. :)

That was my worry, thanks for the tips everybody! @librarygirl: I was thinking of getting some more BW tetras as I love the way they look in the tank, but I wanted to get some sort of an algae eater or bottom feeders if possible too. I realize the 10g limit is really constricting so I need to plan this out carefully.

I don't think I'm going to go with any snails, but I did want to do corys iff possible and a possible otocinclus. If that seems like too much then I will go with a few more tetras and be happy they are all healthy.

DeanerOH said:
I don't think I'm going to go with any snails, but I did want to do corys iff possible and a possible otocinclus. If that seems like too much then I will go with a few more tetras and be happy they are all healthy.

I love my cory cats! Cories are schooling fish, so you would want to have at least 3-6 of them, and they grow to a couple of inches. I think that would max out the capacity of your tank. It's suggested that an otocinclus has a minimum of 30 gallons, but they only get a couple inches long. I don't know much about them though. If I was adding something to that tank, it would be a couple of mystery snails and some shrimp, and probably some neon tetras or fancy guppies.

There's some debate about Corys in a small tank due to their activity level and some get rather "large" (2-3"). 4 Dwarf or Pygmy corys might be ok in a 10 gal but they are often hard to find. Otos are very sensitive fish, hard to keep alive and most only eat diatoms or other algae and will often starve as many do not take well to prepared fish foods. I'd wait until you can get a larger tank or your tank is more established so they'd have something to eat.

That sounds good. Do you think I would be okay adding the other 2-3 BW tetras? I know they are schooling also and would be much happier at 5-6 of them in the tank. If I do get more should I be careful to match sizes? I have 2 smaller and 1 slightly larger in there now and it seems like the larger's dorsal fin is getting nipped at by the others. I checked them all but he is the only one getting nipped. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom