Total frustration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patagonia

Aquarium Advice Freak
thats what i feel when i look at my tank lately...its been a month since i have been trying to battle ich...with the heat only method....i started with 2 neon tetras having one spot each and now i have 4 of them with one spot each...the other fish seem unaffected....could be that i misdiagnosed it....or the fact that temp is not a steady 86F...its been really really cold here lately and the tank drops to 84F at night...now its sitting at 85.5F and when i come home from work sometimes its 86.8F....also since i have a lot of plants in the tank ive been trying really hard to fight algae...but when i take care of one type of algae another one appears...so i stopped dosing everything and ill leave it alone and keep only the plants that survive without anything...one platy seems to be a little chubby...and shes kinda whitish from her gills to her anal fin...every time i look at her she has this loooong string of pooh (not white and stringy...just normal)...maybe im feeding her too much? the more i try to get things right the more south the tank seems to be going...i just feel like giving up on the whole thing....

Strangely enough I share your frustration, my clowns still have a few spots of ich. For your instance I would slowly lower your temp back to normal and keep an eye out. I have the same problem with temps. Try feeding less and see if your platy improves, it might also be a fungus. Are her scales sticking out at all? Don't give up, sooner or later it all works out. How often do you do pwc's?

i change 30% of the water every week but since ive been trying to get rid of ich i change about 15% every other day...her scales are not sticking out...but its impossible to feed her less since she grabs anything you put into the tank...i have a hard time feeding the otos because all the other fish will just attack the algae wafers so i have to put small pieces scattered throughout the tank in order to keep the other fish distracted with the small pieces and give the otos a chance to get some as well...she seems to love the corkscrew as well...so if i lower the temp how am i going to kill this nasty ich? or you think its not ich? i think getting into bonsai as a hobby would be a little bit easier... :lol:

I am not positive it is ich after a month of treatment. You say they have only one spot left? For the otos I've heard other people say on here that feeding the algae wafers at night when the lights are off is best for the otos if the other fish are being piggies and taking all the food. Do you feed twice a day?

Nothing worth doing is ever really easy. We all face frustrations in this hobby but the overall benefit is worth it IMO.

I'm going to do a bit of research on ich and see if the ich can hang on for as long as it has with you. My fish have some spots after 2 weeks and I am beginning to wonder myself, but with mine I am positive it is ich because there is more than one spot left on the fish. I agree it is frustrating. With your fish you could add some salt but about half the dose as the tetras aren't salt lovers.

i feed them once a day and i dont feed on sundays...fasting time...i drop the algae wafers when the lights are off but they find it anyway...about the spots...the 2 neons that started it all had (and still have) one single spot each and the other 2 as well...all four fish have the spot in the same location...on the fin located between the dorsal and the caudal fin ( cant remember the name of that one) its white and about the size of a grain of salt...if it wasnt for that id say they are really healthy because they eat swim and act just fine...and no fish had more than one spot.... :roll:

I'm in the same boat.

My tank 7mnths with these guys.

55g with some plants. Aerator, eheim pro2 thermo, pea sized gravel.
3 Firemouths (3in) and 2 Golden severums (2in) 1 pleco (3in) and 4 tiger barbs.

I have been monitoring twice a week 4 a month and the tank results were always around the following:

PH 7.2 to 7.5

Ammonia .1
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10

I have never had 0 Ammonia which I've seen people on this site say they have.

I still do my usual 30% (including gravel vac) water change on a saturday.

I have just turned the temp down after a month above 30c. Still can't get rid of the ich.

My firemouths have no ich, my severums have 2 spots each which they seem to swap from place to place but its mainly on their fins. I had at first 8 barbs but I lost a few. The 4 remaining barbs have a couple of spots each on their bodies not on their fins.

They all eat fine but the barbs since day 1 kill each other.

Suffered some algae outbreaks but not bad.

I noticed the tubes going into and out of the eheim getting coated in white sludge. So I cleaned them every day and they no longer show signs of the stuff. I used to clean them once a week anyway.

I cant work out what I'm doing wrong but I'm losing my head.

I have also noticed a smell from my tank at night like eggs. The smell does not linger and its only there for a half an hour or so. And I have not smelled it in a week.

I feel like im looking for JFK's killer here :lol:

Have you the same probs with your filter? Or the smell Patagonia.

I will have to use meds cant use salt with the pleco.

Best of luck Patagonia.

i am considering the same option here....meds....not my cup of tea but i dont seem to be able to kill it with just high temps...i didnt have the smell situation you had...i think i read somewhere that cyanpbacteria smells like that...blue-green algae that is...but im not 100% on that one...best of luck to you too FishFingers...lets hope somebody can guide us here...

@patagonia: Try this page for infos on what else it could be, they have lots of good pictures to compare to: http://www.fishpalace.org/Disease.html#Cloudyeye

@FishFingers: Take a stake or something and stirr around in your gravel a bit. It there are coming bad smelling bubbles up to the surface, you have foulgases building up in your gravel. You either need to stir the whole gravel then, renoew it or then get a bunch of malaysian trumpet snail to stir up your gravel to prevent unaerobic decomposition spots which smell so bad and develop foul gases.

the otos wont eat any of the algae that grows in my tank....i wish they would...
Tiffi...thank you for the page ill take a look at it right now and see if i can finally identify what this is...

Back
Top Bottom