Total newbie planted tank - oooh, there's gonna be trouble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doublenerds

Aquarium Advice Regular
OK. So I cleaned my office a few weeks ago. Made some empty space on the top of a sturdy file cabinet. And had the brilliant idea to get a 29 gallon fish tank, without knowing a darn thing about aquariums or fish. Luckily, I didn't buy any fish before realizing how much of an education I needed!

I started a fishless cycle 2 weeks ago, but the more I read, the more I want to have a lovely planted tank. So now I am going to start over, and defy conventional wisdom with a totally beginner soil planted tank. I expect it to be a crashing disaster but a good learning experience, and I would love the critique and feedback of experienced plant people.

My overall goals:
  • planted tank with 2-3 malabar puffers and 3 otos
  • I don't want to spend a fortune on high tech, so I will be going low light and using Diana Walstad as my guide
  • Due to my fish choice, I will not be doing careful aquascaping but instead will be building a wild jungle with plenty of hiding places and environmental complexity
  • I want a carpet!

My 29 gallon tank:

img_1329488_0_8d544c72573a70d1dcf2321bc24689c2.jpg

Photo is poor quality but you get the idea - there are about 4 live plants in there (no idea what species) and a bunch of "silk". On the left is a fake log/tree thing that I will likely keep because it has a couple of little caves and I want my fish to have at least one decent hideout before the plants grow out. On the right is a piece of mopani driftwood. I soaked it for a week before adding but you will note the water is a bit brown at the moment from tannins. On the right you can see the reflection of one of those spiral bamboo plants that seem to be in every pet store - I kinda like that one and I hope it lives. The other live plants are already going black in the roots.

I also have a little 5 gallon tank filled with about a dozen random pest snails from my lfs - one day, they will be puffer food. I plan to leave this tank as-is and replace the existing plants with overgrowth from the 29 gallon after their inevitable horrible death :brows:

img_1329488_1_d956b0547c0f327355188215a5af5b1e.jpg

My tentative initial plan:
  • Miracle-Gro organic potting soil under pool filter sand
  • dwarf baby tears as my carpet plant
  • yeah, those are about the only 2 things I have actually decided on

My initial questions:
  1. Should I stick to 1 wpg for this tank, or can I go to 2 without adding CO2? I plan on using normal output flourescents on the plant-friendly side of the spectrum
  2. Should I add clay to the potting soil? If so, what kind and where is the best place to purchase it?
  3. Since malabar puffers and otos are both supposedly sensitive to water conditions, should I cycle this tank with fish food only before adding live fish, or add the fish and plan to change the heck out of my water for a few months?
  4. I will be ordering plants online. Does anyone have vendor recommendations? I am currently considering aquariumpets.com, sweetaquatics.com, and mikeswetpets.com

Whew - I think that's enough for now. I'm simultaneously excited and filled with dread :flowers:

My initial questions:

1. Should I stick to 1 wpg for this tank, or can I go to 2 without adding CO2? I plan on using normal output flourescents on the plant-friendly side of the spectrum IMO u should be fine with 2 watts per gallon. I have 2.6 WPG and i am fine with no co2.

2. Should I add clay to the potting soil? If so, what kind and where is the best place to purchase it? From what i have heard yes u should. As far as what type, I see people using the hard rock like type and they break it up.

3. Since malabar puffers and otos are both supposedly sensitive to water conditions, should I cycle this tank with fish food only before adding live fish, or add the fish and plan to change the heck out of my water for a few months?
Not sure what u r asking but yes cycle then add fish.

4. I will be ordering plants online. Does anyone have vendor recommendations? I am currently considering aquariumpets.com, sweetaquatics.com, and mikeswetpets.com IDK on this one. Never ordered plants.

If u didn't notice my comments r in blue!

If you cycle with fish, get 5 or 6 zebra danios. Very hardy fish. Once cycled, may become dinner for the puffers. Danios are $.99

That plant in the first tank on the far right isn't an aquatic plant. Ribbon plants aren't aquatic. Neither is mondo grass just in case you have any. The anubias you've got shouldn't be planted in the substrate. It has a rhizome which needs to be in contact with the water. It cannot be buried. They fare best attached to rocks or wood. Otherwise nice lay out. Welcome to the world of planted tanks.

Couple of thoughts:

1. Is this "sturdy filing cabinet" in use for the original purpose (holding files)... And is it used frequently? Seems the shock from opening and closing would be somewhat of a stress on fish (?). Also- "what if" - a water leak/spillage from water change, etc?

2. Will the location of the tank make it inconvenient to do regular maintenance?

Thanks for the answers and feedback!

Crepe, are the anubias the 2 foreground plants (far left and far right?) I kind of thought they might be and thought about relocating them...now I definitely will and see if I can get them to live past the next week or so.

Batt, the cabinet is for my personal archives - I open it perhaps once per month to transfer documentation that I don't want cluttering up my desk. Even then, it's a pretty smooth process and I don't expect there to be much of an issue for the fish. The location is a fairly major pain in the *** for maintenance - the top of the tank is 6' 4" high, and I'm only 5'4". However, with the help of a small stepladder and one of these I have doing OK so far. I bought several 2 gallon plastic watering cans for adding new treated water so pwcs have been pretty painless to date (I did about 3 just for practice).

I expect removing the existing media and getting the soil in is going to be a tricky operation. I'm gonna be optimistic that this process will only be a one-time deal :)

The lucky bamboo isn't aquatic. You can grow it though if you rig it to where its sticking out of the top.

WPG is not a very good standard to go by to determine your light output. What kind of light setup is it?

OK. Well, that plan didn't last long. I got a 28 gallon bow-front for a low price on Craigslist, and I have decided to make THAT one the planted tank.

Gonna go do a bit more research before starting the project, but I appreciate the input everyone has given thus far.

OK. Well, that plan didn't last long. I got a 28 gallon bow-front for a low price on Craigslist, and I have decided to make THAT one the planted tank.

Gonna go do a bit more research before starting the project, but I appreciate the input everyone has given thus far.

Lighting will be important so if you can, find out the details of your current light fixture for this 28G bow front. Upgrades are quite a pain when it comes to a bowfront, if you have to replace the lid to fit a new fixture.

Thanks, j2 - I was posting a lighting question in a new thread as you were commenting :)

The top to this tank is all glass - I ordered a 24" T5-HO with two 24W bulbs. I freecycled the original light and filter that came with the tank and I have a Filstar xp1 coming in the mail as well.

I am about halfway through the nutrient chapter in Walstad's book....I think the soil chapter is next and I'm really looking forward to that one as I have read so many conflicting recommendations as to preferred soil type.

Great news about the all glass lid and light fixture :)
Look forward to seeing some pictures in the future.

This is what the new tank looked like yesterday - seller took an extra $10 off the price if I was willing to clean it myself :)

img_1333051_0_3d85bad3cf5f5a3fc817bf37be58a488.jpg

Please note that although the tank came with a light and filter, it did not come with a scruffy grey pussycat. He is simply the official New Stuff Inspector in my household.

And here it is today, a bit cleaner and testing tank integrity.

img_1333052_0_e9a4cfdd10795ab8b96e331133ac1d93.jpg

Did I mention that my scruffy grey pussycat is also amphibious?

Back
Top Bottom