Traded Saltwater Fish for Freshwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rive1404

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey AA,
I traded 4 damsels for a 2" red tail cat a few weeks ago. Just found out how big these guys get. HOLY BUCKETS!!!!

5' seems a little much. Is this how big they are in the wild or in private aquariums?

What is the minimum and recommended tank size for these whoppers? 250g-300g is my assumption...

I'd much rather spend $1000 bucks for a tank than spend $1000 replacing fish the damsels would have eventually killed.

Thanks in advance!

I feel that a red tail catfish should stay in the amazon, they get way to big and should stay in the wild.

redtailcatfish.jpg

libraryredtailcatfishja.jpg

Sadly neither of these are fully grown.

Well the LFS where I got it is run by a close friend. It takes a good friend/businessman to take back damsels, anyway.

Seriously, I will be taking this back...I saw that episode of River Monsters and I remembered last night after AMDPhenom posted.

Why would they even sell this to people for home aquaria? What happens to the people who keep them and don't have space anymore?

I feel that a red tail catfish should stay in the amazon, they get way to big and should stay in the wild.

redtailcatfish.jpg

libraryredtailcatfishja.jpg

Sadly neither of these are fully grown.

I keep wanting to see that show, I just never remember to watch it when its on :(.

My girlfriend's dad suggested that...

He also suggested letting it grow in our pool and he'll fish it out.

What do you guys say to making a pond for this thing to live in? My parents are planning to make one anyway, but we don't like koi or goldfish. We have spare heaters for our pool that could stabilize the temp in winter. Is this even feasible or am I just being dumb? I'm 90% sure I'm taking it back, but just in case there's a way I can keep it it'll be better off here than in some 20 gallon tank in someone else's house.

My girlfriend's dad suggested that...

He also suggested letting it grow in our pool and he'll fish it out.

What do you guys say to making a pond for this thing to live in? My parents are planning to make one anyway, but we don't like koi or goldfish. We have spare heaters for our pool that could stabilize the temp in winter. Is this even feasible or am I just being dumb? I'm 90% sure I'm taking it back, but just in case there's a way I can keep it it'll be better off here than in some 20 gallon tank in someone else's house.

That would be AWSOME. But i am not sure you would be able to keep the pond temp stable in winter. You would have to cover it and that would have to be 1 BIG heater. You would also need to build a rather large pond.

Hmmm...don't have room for a lake, lol. And I don't think the wildlife officers would appreciate me dumping it in the lake, either.

We have 2 spare pool heaters and each maintains 50,000 gallons of water. We keep our pool open year round and we keep it at 86 easy.

I'm just brainstorming here, If I take him back to the LFS I can guarantee it'll go in someone's 20 gallon. I'd rather let it sit in a big pond with me than a 20 gallon in someone else's home.

Back
Top Bottom