transferring to larger tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scott1980

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've got a friend selling me his 20 gallon, so I'm moving all my 10 gallon over. I've got

1 African Dwarf Frog
1 Cory Dora
1 Clown Pleco
4 Neon Tetras
3 Black Skirt Tetras

Overstocked, I know. I plan on making this a planted tank by the way. So as not to lose any fish, Any suggestions on what to do or what not to do.

:morning:

Move your 10 gallon filter onto the 20 to help handle the initial bioload. This should stop you from having any cycling issues. Otherwise, match the tanks temperature wise, then do the normal "New fish" routine. Bag 'em up, acclimate, and dump 'em in :)

If you move everything from your 10 over to the 20, gravel and decorations, filter and all, you should be in good shape. Then in a couple of weeks you can take the filter from the 10 off the 20 (assuming it has its own filter) and go on about your business! The 20 will house your fishy family much better, and now you can get a few more cory cats, since they really prefer to be in a school, and will be happier that way.

Congrats!

If you make up the new, 20 gallon tank water just like you do the 10 gallon tank water, then all you have to acclimate for is temperature, right? If you have 2 heaters, could you just move them over to the 20 gallon when the temps match? Sorry to stick my own question in here.

Actaully, I'm not using the same gravel I'm going to put the eco complete in, becuase I want to have live plants. A guy at the lfs said that eco complete is good to for the transfer because of all the good bacteria it contains, I guess it helps prevent new tank syndrome or something.

:morning:

I'm going to put the eco complete in, becuase I want to have live plants.
I have heard good things about that stuff, so let us know how it does for you. In that case, put your old gravel in some panty hose legs (or knee highs) so that it is still in there but it won't get mixed in with your new stuff. After the transition period you can remove it. It will look like crap for a while, but it will help a lot.

When I set up my 10g I put water from my 38g and then I put a filter into the tank (not in the filter) from my 38g and the tank was basically insta-cycled. I've never had any problems in it.

When I set up my 10g I put water from my 38g and then I put a filter into the tank (not in the filter) from my 38g and the tank was basically insta-cycled.
That is the great thing about having multiple tanks - you have your own culture of Bio-Spira on hand at all times! Seeding is definitely the cheapest and easiest thing to do, and almost always works. When I recently added some fish to an already cycled tank, it was just a few more fish than the bioload could handle and I was registering a tiny amount of ammonia. I popped a couple of rocks and about a cup of gravel from another tank into it, and no more ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom