Transporting Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kholton

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was just wondering if I could get some good advice on how to best transport fish from the fish store to my home, because I have to take a bus, and it will be about an hour and a half bus ride... Seeing that it would be fairly bumpy, and I don't want to get water everywhere (and get kicked off the bus). Does anyone have any tips and or advice? I always feel horrible for the fish even when transporting them in my car, and then the sloshing is pretty minimal. But I've been wondering, can the sloshing really hurt them as much as I feel like it does? Or am I just worrying over nothing?

Thanks guys!

~Kaden

The more sloshing around, the more oxygen in the water.

As long as they cannot see out of the bag, I wouldn't worry too much, so put the bag inside a dark bag. What do you think happens during a monsoon in rivers or a stormy day in the ocean? :) Just make sure there's about as much air in the bag as water.

Might find some of the stuff interesting in the article I have linked below about moving house with fish. :)

+2

Even though the the sloshing is somewhat Helpful, I act as a shock absorber when going over the bumps in the passenger seat of the car, I keep the sloshing and moving do the minimal, keeping the bag as still as I can in the dark bag ;)

Okay, point well taken. Thanks guys! That will set my fiance (and myself) at ease.

~Kaden

The temp shouldn't fall too much, the heating will be on on the bus and while you're in somewhere warm it isn't possible for the water to cool down less than the surrounding air. Just get inside quickly once you get off.

Yeah... I don't really plan on taking any sort of extended detours around before getting my fish safely into their tanks! Haha, but thanks for the thought. I can't wait to get a few more fish in this tank... And then get some for my other tank as well!

Back
Top Bottom