trip to lfs today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxwolfpackof1xx

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok so i went to lfs i bought 33oz api salt to treat my ich a anubias plant for 5 bucks and needed filters

Sent from my Vortex using Aquarium

sadly i cant add the anubias till tmrw does anubiss need to be attacched to anything to be in my tank?

Anubias don't necessarily need to be attached, but if you are going to put it in the gravel - don't cover up the rhizome (the sideways stem) or it will die.

They look best tied to driftwood IMO. They're hard to get rooted in substrate, I've tried. You can tie them to a rock though if you don't have driftwood.

thanks could i attach it to decor i was gonna buy driftwood with a plant on it but the plants were in such bad condition

mfdrookie516 said:
They look best tied to driftwood IMO. They're hard to get rooted in substrate, I've tried. You can tie them to a rock though if you don't have driftwood.

i dont have any river rock or any riivers near me id usr a rock from yard but iim scared of introduceing something bad or a rock that's not good for the aquarium

Anubias don't necessarily need to be attached, but if you are going to put it in the gravel - don't cover up the rhizome (the sideways stem) or it will die.

what do u mean by dont burry the SIDEWAYS STEM????

Yeah, rocks from a yard or garden aren't usually a good idea because of the risk of pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizers. If you're already planning on getting driftwood, go for it.

put some little vinegar in a rock from your yard, if there is bubbles, it's not safe for the tank. if there's no bubbles, it is good for the tank. just rinse it and put the rock in..

theres none of that stuff in mmy yard im just worried il get a bad rock because a postet on here introduced a rock and it turned tank silver that's what im afraid of i was gonna get the plant attached driftwood( its the only one they had) but the plants were unlabled and in horriable condition

daileene said:
put some little vinegar in a rock from your yard, if there is bubbles, it's not safe for the tank. if there's no bubbles, it is good for the tank. just rinse it and put the rock in..

another poster but a rock in and it killed his tank he did the vinigar test passed it but it still hurt his tank

hmmm...maybe some rocks will not show anything with the vinegar..i got some in my yard and did the vinegar test, and they are all still fine in my tank..

daileene said:
hmmm...maybe some rocks will not show anything with the vinegar..i got some in my yard and did the vinegar test, and they are all still fine in my tank..

il try it i don't have a expensive stock so to speak but id still be sad if i lost them. is white vinigar ok? and how much should be used a cap ful?

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
thanks could i attach it to decor i was gonna buy driftwood with a plant on it but the plants were in such bad condition

That's what I did with some java fern and a fake rock/plants decco. Worked great till I got my DW cured. I used wire ties, but the little rubber bands from LFS work great too. Just gotta be gentle with the plant.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

The vinegar test IMO doesn't mean anything. It's not going to tell you if the rock has chemicals in it that will kill your fish (like herbicides, pesticides, etc). All it's going to tell you is whether or not the rock reacts with acid. If you have a pH above 7, it may not even matter. Especially if your pH is 7.8 or higher.

Mr. Limpet said:
That's what I did with some java fern and a fake rock/plants decco. Worked great till I got my DW cured. I used wire ties, but the little rubber bands from LFS work great too. Just gotta be gentle with the plant.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

i dont have any waire ties are zip ties ok or no?

The vinegar test IMO doesn't mean anything. It's not going to tell you if the rock has chemicals in it that will kill your fish (like herbicides, pesticides, etc). All it's going to tell you is whether or not the rock reacts with acid. If you have a pH above 7, it may not even matter. Especially if your pH is 7.8 or higher.

Listen to Jonathan...he knows more than me...hehe...

Although I've read somewhere that there was another way of testing a rock in the yard. I just can't remember now what it was...

I dont suggest you use rocks from a yard, but that's your choice. What I don't want to happen is you to come back a couple days later and say "all my fish died, what happened?". You know what I mean?

Zip ties work fine. I've used them for both ferns and anubias. Leave them a little loose though to allow the rhizome to grow a little. After a few months under water, they'll start to break down and you can easily cut them off (or break them off as I did while trying to cut them).

Back
Top Bottom