Tropical Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bruinsbro1997 said:
Gold gouramis get HuGE I have one in one of my tanks and it is like six inches long. Opalines IMO are quite aggressive most of the time. It all depends on your gouami's personality really, they all have different personalities.

I'm thinking I'm gonna stick to the dwarves, thanks for the input though.

Puffymcstuff said:
So!... Here's what I've got so far:

Another two or three corys
Another two or three skirts
Three dwarf gouramis
Two angelfish
6-10 neons
And three to five of another colorful tetra

Whatdya guys think?

As for the 3-5 tetra, what should I get? I want something that schools well, and is extremely colorful and temperate in nature.

Could I go for some smaller barbs? What barbs would go good with my set up? And what about zebra danios and or glofish?

As for the 3-5 tetra, what should I get? I want something that schools well, and is extremely colorful and temperate in nature.

It should be 5-6 tetra per school, but if you get a lot of different tetras I'm sure they'll school together. Do you like the long, slender type of tetras, or the more deeper bodied tetras?

Could I go for some smaller barbs? What barbs would go good with my set up? And what about zebra danios and or glofish?

Cherry barbs and gold barbs would be really good in that tank. Zebra danios and glowfish are fine, about six will give them a good shoal.

bruinsbro1997 said:
It should be 5-6 tetra per school, but if you get a lot of different tetras I'm sure they'll school together. Do you like the long, slender type of tetras, or the more deeper bodied tetras?

Cherry barbs and gold barbs would be really good in that tank. Zebra danios and glowfish are fine, about six will give them a good shoal.

I like the deeper body tetra, and could I do a school of barbs, AND a school of tetra? With everything else in a 60, I don't really know if that's overstocking or not.

Also, don't rosy barbs get 6"?! And which barbs would you MOST suggest? Cherry, rosy, tiger, or tinfoil?

bruinsbro1997 said:
Cherry, they stay small, tigers are too active and nippy, rosy and tinfoil barb get massive. You could still fit s tetra school in there IMO.

So I could do a school of cherry barbs (how many?) AND a school of, say, black phantom, bleeding heart, Von rio, or scissortails, rasboras, glofish, or zebrafish?

Yes, sorry :)

Puffymcstuff said:
So I could do a school of cherry barbs (how many?) AND a school of, say, black phantom, bleeding heart, Von rio, or scissortails, rasboras, glofish, or zebrafish?

So, answer to this?

So how many cherry barbs? And what kind of tetra should I get?

This would be my advice:

If you want two angels, start out with 4-5 small ones, then once you get a good pair, rehome the others. If not, it's been my experience that angels can end up getting somewhat aggressive in their old age. Plus with having a hex-tank, you're not providing much swimming space in terms of length, so if you get a pair that doesn't get along they'll be in each others face constantly.

Furthermore, IME BST's can be rather nippy at times, and might go after your angels fins so keep a watch on that. Just my 2 cents.

If I do get 4-5, how long do you think it'll be until they are noticably paired off?:fish2:

Red minor? White Cloud? Ghost catfish?

X-ray? ..........

Bloodfin? Buenos Aires?

Whitefinned rosy? Come on people?!

Trying to guilt petsmart into taking back my fish... Haha... Hope it works

And the petcare manager is trying to convince me that a hex tank is fine.!

So how many cherry barbs? And what kind of tetra should I get?

If I do get 4-5, how long do you think it'll be until they are noticably paired off?:fish2:

Red minor? White Cloud? Ghost catfish?

X-ray? ..........

Bloodfin? Buenos Aires?

Whitefinned rosy? Come on people?!

Sorry for the late reply! I have never heard of red minor...if you are talking about white cloud minnow, they should be fine in there. Ghost catfish are sensitive IMO and you should wait until your tank is matured and established. X-ray tetras are fine, same with bloodfin and buenos aires. I have never heard of white-finned rosy barbs...

bruinsbro1997 said:
Sorry for the late reply! I have never heard of red minor...if you are talking about white cloud minnow, they should be fine in there. Ghost catfish are sensitive IMO and you should wait until your tank is matured and established. X-ray tetras are fine, same with bloodfin and buenos aires. I have never heard of white-finned rosy barbs...

Ok, thanks. And the white clouds are considered danios, not minnows, but thank you.

And how do people think about blue rams in my tank setup?

I mean, will they be aggressive upwards tetra, corys, or gouramis, and how many should I get?

Ok, I don't think I'm gonna get them then... I'll just stick to my original plan. I just need to sell my fish and I'll be good.

Red minors are usually called serpae. They are tetra.

Ok, thanks. And the white clouds are considered danios, not minnows, but thank you.

White clouds are also tetra (characins), not danios. They are often called white cloud mountain minnows.

And how do people think about blue rams in my tank setup?

They won't do well at all.

I mean, will they be aggressive upwards tetra, corys, or gouramis, and how many should I get?

They would clash with the gourami.

They can be agressive to cories. Mine are aggressive to them during feedin time.

Never seen an issue with any species of apisto with any species of cory and we've kept a pretty wide variety of combos.

Ok, I don't think I'm gonna get them then... I'll just stick to my original plan. I just need to sell my fish and I'll be good.

(y)

HN1 said:
Red minors are usually called serpae. They are tetra.

White clouds are also tetra (characins), not danios. They are often called white cloud mountain minnows.

They won't do well at all.

They would clash with the gourami.

Never seen an issue with any species of apisto with any species of cory and we've kept a pretty wide variety of combos.

(y)

Thanks HN1 I am very excited to purchase these fish, but first I gotta get rid of my darn cichlids!

Back
Top Bottom