Tropical Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just because we don't want to overload our bioload, our bacteria can only work so fast and if you overload there will be leftover ammonia, which we don't want.

What kind of filtration is on your tank?

How quickly is the tank currently eating 4ppm of ammo?

bruinsbro1997 said:
Just because we don't want to overload our bioload, our bacteria can only work so fast and if you overload there will be leftover ammonia, which we don't want.

So if I add some ammonia reducer like stress coat, and some nitrate/nitrite controller like stress zyme, I can put in as Many as I want at a time?

bruinsbro1997 said:
Generally products that reduce nitrates and nitrites or reduces them do not work. It is better to be patient and add the fish slowly.

Now, would nitrites spike from adding fish? And would nitrates be harmful?

I answered that above.

If the only info you can give is "external power filter from Walmart" and it's a 60 gallon tank then I would stock slowly and carefully. My Walmart doesn't sell anything that I would run two of on a 60, let alone one. I definitely wouldn't add fish quickly w/o additional filtration.

Now, would nitrites spike from adding fish? And would nitrates be harmful?
Yes, nitrites would spike. They are the most harmful to fish. Nitrates are harmful as well but not in smaller concentrations the way nitrites are. Keep nitrates from exceeding 20ppm for most fish and you will be fine. I keep them under 10ppm for more sensitive fish.

Yep, all that ammonia? Well that will turn into all that nitrites. All that nitrites? Gonna turn into all the nitrates. Unless your tank has been up and running for about a month add them gradually.
Said tank has been up and running for about a year but I don't know if there is currently fish in it.

siva said:
If the only info you can give is "external power filter from Walmart" and it's a 60 gallon tank then I would stock slowly and carefully. My Walmart doesn't sell anything that I would run two of on a 60, let alone one. I definitely wouldn't add fish quickly w/o additional filtration.

My external power filter is from a specialty aquarium store in laporte, and my heater is from walmart!

bruinsbro1997 said:
For a year? Hmm well if there are fish in it I don't see why not adding them every other day if your ammonia can go down fast.

Still talking to me right? And yes about a year.

I just added 5 BSTs, 7 neons, and 3 corys(2 albino and a peppered). Is this alright? I kept my dirty filter cartridge in, and added stress coat and stress zyme. I also got a new driftwood decoration and three new fake plants. How do you think my bioload will be? And when can I get more fish?

Back
Top Bottom