Trouble balancing my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sniperhank

Giant Clam Addict
pH unstable, tank starting to suffer

Ok, I'm having issues with my pH. It started when I switched from bought saltwater to the distilled I make. What can I do to safely raise my pH. I have been adding pH buffer daily now, but when I test after work it is back below testing range of my kit. My corals are retracting and I need a solution for this!

Ok, so I have been crusading about trying to fix the pH in my tank. It continues to be off and I'm dosing it daily to keep it at 8. What it is at before that I'm not sure, my test doesn't go that low...

I am running a ro/di unit that when tested is telling me that the pH of it is around 7, which should be correct for purifying water. I know that my salinity goes off as well as I discovered my hydrometer is a POS and will be ordering a refractometer to solve this issue.

Am I going paranoid over this pH issue? It is winter and the furnace to my house is gas. I'm worrid since my zoas have not opened up in a week and my new green star polyp refuses to be anything other than purple paste on a rock, even though I have moved it through many different direct flow spots. My fish are doing fine, I'm just concerned about my corals.

What is your PH running without dosing? What is the tank running? And what is the PH of a fresh batch of SW that has sit for 24-48 hours?

I think Mike meant it can't be that low....and I agree. If it really was 7, any aragonite sand you may have in your tank would be dissolving.
What brand test kit are you using to test the pH?
Here's a little test you can try. Take a jar full of saltwater from your tank and put it outside with an airstone bubbling outside air thru the water. Test your water and see what it shows.

Don't get caught up chasing pH and adding buffers. Depending on exactly what you are dosing, it could jack your alk too high or add so much boron to your system your alk test will give false readings. BTW...what exactly are you dosing to raise pH?

I think im freaking because it doesnt make sense. Im usong api liquid test from my master kit. It isnt expired either. Im doing small dose of pro buffer to raise it alittle. Alk is fine from my test.

What type of salt are you using? Try changing salt. Is it a reef salt? The salt mix usually had buffers in it and will stabilize your ph around 8.3. I have never had issues with ph with reef crystals salt and recent change to red sea pro salt.

Ph will vary during day as well. Ph will be highest right before lights out and lowest right before lights on. If you have a refugium you should run opposite light cycle and will stabilize ph a bit better

That is more strange now. And ph is low with freshly mixed salt water before you do a water change?

Yes, it is low before and after mixing. I have my water mixing in a 5 gallon jug with a heater and a powerhead for about a day before I do my PWC. I've been spending all of my time at work and it has my blood pressure through the roof. I would love a solution, just have no clue what to do next...if I need to do anything at all.

That seems odd that RO water with salt freshly mixed is low ph. I would try to rule things out. Can you get another source of water from you local fish store? Or even goto super market and buy a gallon of RO or distiller water mix salt and see if tests the same. It could be your test kit or your water source is my guess.

Try bringing some of your water to local fish store and have them test. Don't tell them your issue and see if they come back with low ph? Maybe buy a ph pen? Fairly cheap and way more accurate than liquid tests.

It wouldn't suprise me if it was my water source, as my water is spring fed. My biggest problem is that my LFS is 30 min away and you can't really find things like a ph pen or much aside from a clownfish for that matter. Everything needs to be ordered out.

Lots of good sites out there. A ph pen wouldnt be a waste of money if your sprung for it. Try getting a gallon of water from store and mix salt and test. Start with that. Next time you take a trip out to fish store bring a water sample. Kalkwasser is something to look into it is a buffer and will raise ph. It is meant to be slowly dripped Into tank mixed with your fresh top off.

And if your just using straight tap water I would say it is your water source. Look into a RO/DI system???

I have an RO/DI and use it with all my water changes and top offs. I have been looking into Kalkwasser reactors, but haven't got much feedback in that thread.

Ok so your water should be good with RO. Maybe filters due for changing??? Pretty stumped on ph issue. If not your water then could be your test kit. Or you have a low ph problem. You seem dedicated I'm sure you will find the source of the issue.

Don't really need kalk reactor to use kalk. Can just mix in with your top off water and drip your top water slowly over few hours.

I had the same problem. I found that aiming my power head up a bit to churn water at the top increased the ph

Sincity said:
I had the same problem. I found that aiming my power head up a bit to churn water at the top increased the ph

+++1111. Good call. Surface aeration helps with gas exchange and can raise ph.

I would get a powerhead aimed at the surface of your water and get anther test done at your lfs or another kit. I dont think the pH is that low.

Back
Top Bottom