Turquoise Rainbow Shoal Monarch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tcTurquoise

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I purchased a nice little shoal (8) of turquoise rainbows (2" - 2 1/2") for my 60 gal. aquarium. I bought all that the store had in their tank. One of them has a beautiful red coloration on the flat above the mouth. Is this indicative of anything? Or just a mutation or color variation? Does anyone have any information on this?

Thank you in advance!

tcTurquoise said:
I purchased a nice little shoal (8) of turquoise rainbows (2" - 2 1/2") for my 60 gal. aquarium. I bought all that the store had in their tank. One of them has a beautiful red coloration on the flat above the mouth. Is this indicative of anything? Or just a mutation or color variation? Does anyone have any information on this?

Thank you in advance!

I'm pretty sure the dominant male will show more red there and the subordinates will be lighter...orange to yellow even. It's a flashing behavior males do to attract females usually. Our would do it always right after the water change. They would flash a full rainbow as they matured. This is one of he better pics of it...they were pretty fast and hard to capture...lol.

Attachments

• image-3898049304.jpg
    image-3898049304.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 88
Botanica said:
I'm pretty sure the dominant male will show more red there and the subordinates will be lighter...orange to yellow even. It's a flashing behavior males do to attract females usually. Our would do it always right after the water change. They would flash a full rainbow as they matured. This is one of he better pics of it...they were pretty fast and hard to capture...lol.

Thank you, Botanica!

tcTurquoise said:
Thank you, Botanica!

My pleasure! They are by far one of the most beautiful of the rainbowfish! My husband has Boesemani rainbows now...but I think the turquoise are stunning!

It is called flashing as previously posted. The breeding stripe is a show of dominance to other males, and to attract possible mates. If you watch it closely it will actually change color a bit while watching. Bows are very awesome fish. I currently have about 13 species. tons of color, and very little aggression.

foster53 said:
It is called flashing as previously posted. The breeding stripe is a show of dominance to other males, and to attract possible mates. If you watch it closely it will actually change color a bit while watching. Bows are very awesome fish. I currently have about 13 species. tons of color, and very little aggression.

Thank you! I appreciate the information, and I really like the fish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom