Two male bettas with divider

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcgolg76

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So my sister asked me to help her set up a tank for my nephews 3 & 5. She only agreed to one tank. Original plan was to get one betta and a mystery snail in a 5 gallon tank. But then the 3 yo started crying about how he wants a fish too. So my sister agreed to up things too a ten gallon and go with 6 neons and few snails.
Right now I am fishless cycling which took a lot of convincing to my sister. She also asked me what is wrong with the betta bowls she saw in the pet store.
Anyway thinking the neons might get boring to the kids. Can't real tell difference so kids would have trouble naming. Plus think it will be boring after a few days.
So going back to my betta thought. Will two bettas work if I have a divider. Are bettas completely visual or will they sense each other even with a divider. Can you even find dividers that are not see thru. Really want to give my nephews something to enjoy and not something that will be dead or another tank for me after 3 mos.
Any other suggestions for a ten gallon setups with two fish that will interest small kids

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Bettas jump over and shimmy under and beside dividers. Unless they are nicely secured and taller than the water line by a couple inches.

Kids get bored fast, unless they want to learn and help in the taking care of the tank and learning about the aqua critters, etc.

Maybe Fiddler crabs? They need some salt in the water, sand/land and filtration.

If you end up with Bettas.....keep the Betta food locked up or you just might have an exploded Betta from eating all the pellets the kids accidentally or on purpose dump in.

Hikari Gold pellets are good basic food.

The big Mystery snail would be good - like Gary in spongebob, get a Pineapple hut and some plants and one Betta.

Good luck.

I would suggest buying cherry shrimp (neochardinia) since they are so active. that are also fun to breed and come in all colours.
kids would love those. i breed cherry shrimp, and they are one of my favourites to keep
hope this helped :)

Tried to convince my sister to do cherry shrimp but she is worried about dead ones and babies being eaten. Even though I gave her a spare light that can grow plants she doesn't want them. So no where for babies to hide. She really wants simplicity. So even though crabs are awesome that also will be a no go.

I had two betas in a ten gal with a divider, they never got at each other or really noticed each other for that matter. I'm sure that they could get over the divider if they really tried, but I never had any issues. If you do that, try having lots of hiding spaces so that the divider isn't what draws their attention all day.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

There are other fish that are different looking ( and more active than male Bettas) that can live in a 10 gal you might want to consider. Male Swordtails, male Guppies, Male Platies ( I suggest males only so you don't have a fry issue to deal with), male Dwarf Gouramis, female Bettas are just some examples. These all have a better chance for diversity of color and ease of care. ( Female Bettas do need some good hiding places to get away from each other as they can sometimes fight with each other. ) With these, no divider would be needed.

Hope this helps. (y)

You could go GBR as well. They're pretty cool and some of my last few have had big personalities. They do need close to pristine water though and constantly good water but they're bright and electric. Worth the extra care in my opinion.

+1 for the Dwarf Gourami shout out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You could go GBR as well. They're pretty cool and some of my last few have had big personalities. They do need close to pristine water though and constantly good water but they're bright and electric. Worth the extra care in my opinion.

+1 for the Dwarf Gourami shout out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Forgetting the fact that they are not good beginner fish, don't GBRs and EBRs all basically look alike? How is the OP's Sister's kids supposed to tell them apart? :whistle:

I think two male platys or guppies would be a great idea.
You could still have an apple snail, maybe an African dwarf frog, and some ghost shrimp just for fun :)

Simple, easy, look different so they could name them, and best of all- not overstocked!

Back
Top Bottom