UGF- HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cougaran

Aquarium Advice Activist
OK before everyone says get rid of them, IM not. I like them. Now im using a whisper 5 HOB which is a little too big for the 38 gal tank i have. I have the UGF already set up with very old and LOUD air pumps with all 4 stacks going. They really need to be repaired. I want to go with a powerhead system, because i want to keep costs down and powerheads are quieter.
HERES the QUESTION--
1. I need to buy 2 right? one for each side of the UGF. There are four opening in mine.
2. Should i go with a reversible? This would allow a reverse flow UGF system with the debris being picked up by the HOB.
3. Which brand should i go with and model choice if possible.

I saw a site recommending 2x 402 aquaclears for a UGF about my size, I can't find anything for a 38 gallon anymore. If you do answer this post and are using/have used could you tell me what you have/had regarding UGF's. This is going to be a livebearer tank, but i want extra filtration so that i can stock it to the max. I'm actually fairly new to livebearers, having been a strict cichlid and salt water fan. Thanks.

I have been using Rio powerheads from Big Als. They come with a variety of fittings and can be used up or down flow. I still like UGFs. :D

I've had bad experiences with UGF I did find that the best way to go with them is the reverse flow. 2 power heads with the other uplift tubes blocked off it the way to go.

Warning tho, when you first turn it on in the reverse flow direction be ready for a lot of stuff to come into the water.

Cougar- You should PM FancyGuppyGuy. He has been working with UGF for a long time and knows the ins and outs of them. Any question you have with UGF, he has the answer for. This is not to say that those have already posted don't know what they are talking about. Please Bassman and Shannen, don't think that I am questioning your knowledge of them.

Back
Top Bottom