Unencumbered by the Thought Process

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Complete-Novice

Aquarium Advice Newbie

HI, I am new, very new to having and maintaining an Aquarium. I read a few small ( How to get Started) books, and then plunged right in . . so to speak. I too have a small Nano tank ( 30 liters about 8 gallons), with about 6 gallons of actual water, after gravel sand and deco.

{Initially I was looking for advice on how many fish I could have in Gallons of water ( in an 8 gallon tank – 30 liters). I did find a thread on that but was old, anyway I’ll just keep doing what I’m doing. }

And before anyone tells me to get a bigger tank , I chose this Nano tank due to my very limited space. ( it is on my work desk ).

In my tank I have 6 Neon , 3 Guppies , 2 ghost shrimp, and two Zebra snails, and three small real plants. Yes I realize that all the experts say I have too many fish, but this is what I wanted, and again, being Unencumbered by the Thought Process, what did I know.

In this 30 liter tank I have two corner filters, and Air Stone bubble maker, and heater. I clean out one filter one week, and the other filter the next week.

I have had this tank, sitting on my work desk, for about 2 months now, and so far I have only lost 1 Neon .

So although I chose a relatively small tank, I thought that if I added extra filtration, an air pump with bubble maker, and changed 1 gallon of water every other day, that it could handle the amount of fish I had placed in it. So far. . .. that seems to be true, but then again, I am Unencumbered by the Thought Process :)

Complete-Novice said:

HI, I am new, very new to having and maintaining an Aquarium. I read a few small ( How to get Started) books, and then plunged right in . . so to speak. I too have a small Nano tank ( 30 liters about 8 gallons), with about 6 gallons of actual water, after gravel sand and deco.

{Initially I was looking for advice on how many fish I could have in Gallons of water ( in an 8 gallon tank – 30 liters). I did find a thread on that but was old, anyway I’ll just keep doing what I’m doing. }

And before anyone tells me to get a bigger tank , I chose this Nano tank due to my very limited space. ( it is on my work desk ).

In my tank I have 6 Neon , 3 Guppies , 2 ghost shrimp, and two Zebra snails, and three small real plants. Yes I realize that all the experts say I have too many fish, but this is what I wanted, and again, being Unencumbered by the Thought Process, what did I know.

In this 30 liter tank I have two corner filters, and Air Stone bubble maker, and heater. I clean out one filter one week, and the other filter the next week.

I have had this tank, sitting on my work desk, for about 2 months now, and so far I have only lost 1 Neon .

So although I chose a relatively small tank, I thought that if I added extra filtration, an air pump with bubble maker, and changed 1 gallon of water every other day, that it could handle the amount of fish I had placed in it. So far. . .. that seems to be true, but then again, I am Unencumbered by the Thought Process :)

Usually having more filtration allows for a small amount of fish to be added in addition, but space has to also be taken into account. Sure, the extra fish you have added are releasing ammonia that is being converted to nitrite and then nitrate, but that doesn't mean that fish can be crowded in there. I don't think neons should be in a 5 gal tank. My friend had two in a five gallon and they got stunted in there. A general stocking rule is one and a half inches of fish per gallon, if you have a lot of filtration.

maxwellag said:
Usually having more filtration allows for a small amount of fish to be added in addition, but space has to also be taken into account. Sure, the extra fish you have added are releasing ammonia that is being converted to nitrite and then nitrate, but that doesn't mean that fish can be crowded in there. I don't think neons should be in a 5 gal tank. My friend had two in a five gallon and they got stunted in there. A general stocking rule is one and a half inches of fish per gallon, if you have a lot of filtration.

How do two neons get stunted in a five gallon tank??? Neons only get an inch long, a five gallon is around seven inches to a foot long.

Also just wanted to point out that the "inch per gallon" rule is not a very useful rule at all, it doesn't take enough factors into account.

bruinsbro1997 said:
How do two neons get stunted in a five gallon tank??? Neons only get an inch long, a five gallon is around seven inches to a foot long.

Also just wanted to point out that the "inch per gallon" rule is not a very useful rule at all, it doesn't take enough factors into account.

I said one and a half in per gallon, and I forgot to point out that it also depends on the species. I thought that tetras were happier in longer tanks...

maxwellag said:
I said one and a half in per gallon, and I forgot to point out that it also depends on the species. I thought that tetras were happier in longer tanks...

There is a difference between swim room an stunting. Having swim room will keep the fish happy and active. Stunting is when you put the fish through a painful process and they are stunted from their normal growth.

yes so his fish prolly won't stunt but will be constantly running into eachother

Do you have a way to test the water (a test kit)? You should get one if not, b/c you should keep an eye on the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate level in the tank. If you do have one, can you post the levels here?

I would also stop changing out the filter media, you're throwing away good bacteria that the tank needs to get established.

I'm not sure whether the tank is fully cycled; after two months I would think so, but given you keep changing out the filter media I'm not sure.

There's a link in my signature (new tank with fish...) that might help give you some good information.

Back
Top Bottom