Upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tategrant

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a ten gallon freshwater and I am thinking of upgrading to 29 any tips?

Buy the largest filter you can get, that allows customisable media.
Preferably, 5 to 10 times output of your tank size.

Extreme, I know. But you'll thank me later.

So a how big for 29?

I personally love big filters. Its just my thing I guess.
I love crystal clear water, that's also healthy from large bio load in media.

29g, should have a flow of around 290g per hour, for ten times the flow. You could probably go more if you like to go overboard lol.

29g is also borderline, in whether you would like hang on back filter, or canister filter.

If you go for hang on back, then my personal favourite is the Aquaclear brand.
A nice size for 29g tank, is the aquaclear 70. Which flows 100g to 300g per hour. (adjustable flow control)
The larger size of aquaclear is aquaclear 110. Which flows 166g to 500g per hour. (adjustable flow control)

(I use aquaclear 70 on my 27g tank, with my own custom media, and its perfect.)

They are a good start for hang on back filters.

If you like canister filters, I like Eheim canisters. Yet, there are quite a few models available, ranging in price.
Any canister which flows over 290g per hour is perfect, and will make your water crystal clear, and healthy (with the right media)
Canister filters, do normally use more wattage of electricity. Keep that in mind.

I hope that's helps. I know the brands I chose are quite on the expensive side, compared to other of their competitors. You can choose the lower cost filter brands too, I am sure they work fine. I spend a bit too much money on my tank, to make it perfect... That's just my personal problem.

Enjoy and have fun.

29g, should have a flow of around 290g per hour, for ten times the flow. You could probably go more if you like to go overboard lol.

29g is also borderline, in whether you would like hang on back filter, or canister filter.

A nice size for 29g tank, is the aquaclear 70. Which flows 100g to 300g per hour. (adjustable flow control)
The larger size of aquaclear is aquaclear 110. Which flows 166g to 500g per hour. (adjustable flow control)

If you like canister filters, I like Eheim canisters. Yet, there are quite a few models available, ranging in price.
Any canister which flows over 290g per hour is perfect, and will make your water crystal clear, and healthy (with the right media)
Canister filters, do normally use more wattage of electricity. Keep that in mind.

I hope that's helps. I know the brands I chose are quite on the expensive side, compared to other of their competitors. You can choose the lower cost filter brands too, I am sure they work fine. I spend a bit too much money on my tank, to make it perfect... That's just my personal problem.

Enjoy and have fun.

Yes helps a lot thanks

Enjoy and have fun.

I agree 100% with this. The only thing I want to add is do 2 filters of the combo of your choice. This way you can alternate maintaince on them and if a filter fails you will never be with out filtration. Same with heaters use 2 at the minimum that will keep temp.

Use the filter from your 10 gallon tank on your new tank for the first month. I did this and had zero problems with my water chemistry.

Back
Top Bottom