Upgraded filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikan1089

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to upgrade my 10 gallon filter to a 20 gallon but I would have to start with new filters will this hurt my tank by removing most of good bacteria my old filter collected. How should I go about this?

Leave them both in the tank running for at least a month so build up bb in your new filter. You could always leave both in or take it out. But if you take the old one out, monitor your water to make sure there isn't a mini cycle.

I can't leave them both in cause I wouldn't be able to put the lid on and I have a cat. Is it bad if it starts to cycle again? Will it hurt my fish? If it starts to cycle again should I do partial water changes every few days cause it's a small 10 gallon tank? Thank for your help by the way.

I can't leave them both in cause I wouldn't be able to put the lid on and I have a cat.

Sounds like both filters are HOB by your description ... if so just take the filter cartridge from your old and stuff it next to the new cartridge. If it doesn't fit, then rip up the old cartridge and stuff it into a media bag, then next to the new cartridge. After about a month, the BB should seed the new cartridge.

jcolon said:
Sounds like both filters are HOB by your description ... if so just take the filter cartridge from your old and stuff it next to the new cartridge. If it doesn't fit, then rip up the old cartridge and stuff it into a media bag, then next to the new cartridge. After about a month, the BB should seed the new cartridge.

ya I totally forgot this way. that might be a little easier to come by.

Back
Top Bottom