Upgrading filter system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg5530

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just bought a marine land bio wheel 150 and want to put it in my tank should I keep the old one running for a little while before taking it out or just switch them out. Just about to finish cycling my 20 gallon tank, I'm doing a water change to get rid of nitrates today as the overwhelming nitrites disappeared in to nitrates over night thus completing my cycle I believe. I just don't want to do anything to mess with the cycle as I have had no fish for over a month. Any help is appreciated

Leave both running for around 2 weeks. This should give the new filter enough time to become established.

I have had them both filters running in my established 20 gallon now for at least two weeks. I just set up a new 60 gallon tank last night water in tank, filter and heater running, with about 5 gallons from my 20 gallon. I want to put a filter media from my 20 in the 60 gallon will this help the cycle I really don't feel like waiting another month.

it certainly won't hurt since some of the bacteria from you established tank is on the old filter media. I can't say if it will speed up the cycle time since each tank is different but it won't hurt anything.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom