Upgrading Goldfish Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcor

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all, I'm finally upgrading my tank to a 40g. It's 2nd hand and the lights don't work and there is no filter. I'm planning on moving my black moor and calico fantail into it. Do you think I have room for one or two more? I saw some gorgeous red cap orandas yesterday that I've fallen in love with. I'm looking for each fish to be dramatically different from each other.
Anyways, how do I clean up a used tank? I believe it has stood empty for some time. What are some good filters to look into getting? Would you recommend canisters or HOB or regular sponge filters? (I have a sponge filter in their tank now, and a trickle filter on my big tank). With regards to substrate, I use sand with them now, and regular gravel in my big tank, what do you think I should try in the new tank? (I think I'm more just excited than anything, I could probably figure all this out for myself, but any help/sharing of joy would be excellent!)
:dance:

I use pool filter sand and it costs really little $. I recommend canister filters. Some good ones are rena xp3/xp4, fluval 306/406, marineland c-350, or you can get a wet/dry filter.
Also, make sure the tank holds water. I usually just use a scrub and wet paper towels to clean out the inside/outside. And if needed, re-silicone the sides.

A canister or two good sized hob's are good suggestions for filtration. The bare minimum you want is atleast 400gph but I personally would run heavier filtration. Pool filter sand or bare bottom would be the easiest to maintain and safest for fancies as they are prone to swallowing (and choking) on gravel.

Assuming the tank has been empty for a bit, plain white vinegar does wonders for cleaning. Just make sure you rinse VERY well.

I would not add another fish unless you plan on upgrading again soon. My 55 was overstocked with just three fancies and my other 55 was overstocked with just two (they have since been moved). Goldfish tanks are also much easier to maintain if you keep the stocking level to the minimum.

Thanks for your replies. I've had a look at some of the suggested filters. Seems I underestimated how much they cost, so I'm going to have to go with a sponge filter. I've found a fluval one which does 1000ltrs per hour. Hoping that's adequate. (Besides my trickle filter on the big tank, my only experience has been with sponge filters and I've never had any issues).

Edit: forgot to put the point of this particular post! Question, since I'm in no hurry, shall I just put the filter media into my trickle filter for however many weeks and hopefully 'insta-cycle' the tank? Or try a fish less cycle? Or a fish in cycle? If I do my first suggestion, how long would I need to leave the sponges in the other tank to seed them thoroughly?

You can prob leave the sponges in the tower for maybe 2 weeks. You can also get hob filters. Is your trickle tower a DIY or store bought?
Oh I forgot, a less expensive canister filter:
The cascade series canister filters.

You can prob leave the sponges in the tower for maybe 2 weeks. You can also get hob filters. Is your trickle tower a DIY or store bought?
Oh I forgot, a less expensive canister filter:
The cascade series canister filters.

It's built into the hood of my tank. So much room for media, it's brilliant. It's not a tower so much as 4 trays, side by side, with a spray bar over them. Each tray has different media in and topped with a sponge. I'll look at hobs and the cascade ones too. Thank you very much for your help!

It's built into the hood of my tank. So much room for media, it's brilliant. It's not a tower so much as 4 trays, side by side, with a spray bar over them. Each tray has different media in and topped with a sponge. I'll look at hobs and the cascade ones too. Thank you very much for your help!

That is a very neat way to make a trickle "tower". So you use a submersed pump to pump water to spray bar? Can you post a pic of the "tower"? I would love to see it. Sound very interesting. :D

That is a very neat way to make a trickle "tower". So you use a submersed pump to pump water to spray bar? Can you post a pic of the "tower"? I would love to see it. Sound very interesting. :D

Precisely. I shall post you a photo in the morning for sure! Bedtime now!

Oh no wonder. I'm in New Jersey. Now it's morning. Lol.
Wow! That is a really cool way of filtering!!! Can you post a pic of the water trickling back in? Was it hard to make?

Oh, no no, I didn't built it, it is built into my hood, as in we bought it like that! I'd imagine it would be quite easy to build though. The water goes down those pipes you see, they have holes further down for the water to enter and come out in the tank. Can you see the outlets in this photo?

Attachments

• image-230934137.jpg
    image-230934137.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 123
Oh, no no, I didn't built it, it is built into my hood, as in we bought it like that! I'd imagine it would be quite easy to build though. The water goes down those pipes you see, they have holes further down for the water to enter and come out in the tank. Can you see the outlets in this photo?

Yeah. That is just really really cool. ( prob gonna say this like a lot more times lol ). The tank came like that?! So the whole thing was a package?

Yeah. That is just really really cool. ( prob gonna say this like a lot more times lol ). The tank came like that?! So the whole thing was a package?

Yup. Allpondsolutions is the make. :)

You sound so interested I think this may be a little project for you one day! Like I said, I'd imagine it would be really easy to make. Get some plastic trays, pipes, a spray bar, a power head, some wadding and filter media. If you ever do, I want to see! It does a fine job too. My tank is overstocked but my ammonia and nitrites are at zero and nitrates are below 20. :)

You sound so interested I think this may be a little project for you one day! Like I said, I'd imagine it would be really easy to make. Get some plastic trays, pipes, a spray bar, a power head, some wadding and filter media. If you ever do, I want to see! It does a fine job too. My tank is overstocked but my ammonia and nitrites are at zero and nitrates are below 20. :)

I am interested. If I ever get another tank that is a 55 gal or bigger, I may try to make that. I'll definitely send you a pic if I make it. Seems really easy to make. What does it use to attach to the sides of the tank? Silicone? Do you mean pump or power head? The power head is usually used to move water around and not pump water up.

You can find allpondsolutions online, it's the company that makes the tank.

It's a 'power head' that doubles as a pump. It has the outlet to move the water around the tank as well as the tube to pump water up to the spray bar. Clever, huh?

Back to the original topic, I got the tank! It's in my hallway waiting to go outside for the all important leak test! They gave me a free biorb too but there are so many pieces missing I feel it'll be a waste of time and money getting replacements so I'm going to think about that one.

Back to the original topic, I got the tank! It's in my hallway waiting to go outside for the all important leak test! They gave me a free biorb too but there are so many pieces missing I feel it'll be a waste of time and money getting replacements so I'm going to think about that one.

Great! Hopefully there are no leaks. What's a biorb? Never heard of one before. Lol

Back
Top Bottom