upgrading to a wet/dry filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hackteck

Aquarium Advice Addict
i have a 55g with a cannister filter on it but i think i may want to upgrade to a wet/dry sump filter and i got a few questions keep in mind my aquarium is not predrilled

1. does my aquarium need to be drilled to use one of these units?

2. what type of setup would i be looking at ive never seen a one of these setup.

just give me any info i might need in order to upgrade to one of these hehe :) heres the type of wet/dry i might get but i dont really understand if my tank needs to be drilled in order to use one

http://www.aquabuys.com/miva/mercha...de=pca_60_sl&Category_Code=b4&Product_Count=0

are wet/dry filters fround apon? i'm just lookin for the best type of filtratrion for when i want to keep corals/anemones in the next couple months. i'm also reading up on a sump dont know whats invovled in that either

No they're not frowned upon, but some people feel they have some downfalls. Many believe they can be a nitrate factory with time, but others use nothing but wet/dry's.

The sump/refugium seems to be the most popular option which is not too different as far as plumbing setup is concerned.

You've probably read this, but in case it gives you more info... A sump will increase your total system volume and give you a place to hide all your unsightly gear like skimmers, heaters, carbon filter, probes, thermometer etc. Depending how large your sump is, and how its setup, you can do all your waterchanges in it and never adjust the water level in the main tank, therfore keeping it undisturbed.

Adding a refugium can be a separate small tank or just a compartment within the sump itself, but the latter requires lowering the flow rate to ensure the refugium goes undisturbed.

Refugiums work well at nutrient removal because essentially, the macroalgae within the "fuge," utilises the waste products to grow.

any of these require a overflow if you don't drill your tank.

the wet/dry you listed should work fine. The box on the left side of the pic is the external overflow for the unit. As mentioned, wet/drys do have some draw backs, but this is easily managed. Looking at the pic I would remove the blue bioballs and the tray they sit on. Fill up the compartment about half way with LR rubble instead. It is a much better filter media. I have a couple pics in my gallery of my wet/dry conversion if you are interested.

Back
Top Bottom