Urgent help - Ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThangaMean

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, I just added my 2 orandas to the new display tank, after 3 weeks of quarantine. During this period I treated with prazipro and .3% aqua salt. I'd salt all the time during this qt period. The fish looked always active and eating without issues. Last night I added them to the maintank. Everything was okay, I notived <.5 ammonia. I've some in my tap water. I added tetra safe, dechlorinator and api stress coat as usual. I didn't add salt this time. 3 days before, I started reducing salt in the qt tank. This morning I noticed 2 little white spots in the tail of one of my oranda. However the fish looks normal eats and swims as usual. I think this is ick, but no other signs of it yet. Can someone take a look at the picture and let me know if it is ick or something else. Also, I added some aqua salt this morning. Thanks and sorry for the long message.:banghead:

Attachments

• IMG_0070.jpg
    IMG_0070.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 154
I can't say for sure but this does look like ich to me. But I've never seen it with two perfect alining dots. I would treat right away!

Thankd. Does salt treatment works? .3% aqua salt. Or ginger powder?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Usually the method of choice to treat ich is heat treatment. Sadly, goldfish aren't one of the fish that will tolerate that.

In your position I would probably choose to treat with API General Cure (Metronidazole) It's a very safe fish treatment that will kill any parasites as well as some bacterial infections.

Usually the method of choice to treat ich is heat treatment. Sadly, goldfish aren't one of the fish that will tolerate that.

In your position I would probably choose to treat with API General Cure (Metronidazole) It's a very safe fish treatment that will kill any parasites as well as some bacterial infections.

Thanks Mebbid will check that.

Using Seachem Paraguard, food soaked in garlic & ginger. Also used uv continuously for a day, but it heats up the water. So reduced to 1 hr twice a day. Any pointers?

The two spots on his tail, correct? It does not look like ich as they are much too large. .3% salinity for a 3-4 week quarantine would have destroyed any possibility of ich as it is.

Do any other fish have similar spots? Did you do frequent wcs during qt as .3% salt will wreak havoc on a cycled tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've only 2 orandas and only one has the spots. I did daily WC during QT. My display tank is cycled and I saw the spots 12 hrs after I introduced them into the tank.

I'M NOT AN EXPERT BUT THIS IS WHAT I'VE READ AND OBSERVED REGARDING ICH
Ich are parasites that start off too small to see, its only after they've been feeding on its host for long enough that they get big enough to see so if it is ich then they've been on your fish for at least a few days (depending on the temp of your water). I'm dealing with it in 1 of my tanks atm ( ive learnt my lesson regarding qt new fish ) and you can tell by looking at the infested fish that it has things attached to it, as they say, it looks similar to tiny grains of salt except where salt is more opaque, ich are solid white dots with clean edges (they are not fuzzy and they do not fade out around the edges ) you can very easily tell where the parasite ends and the fish begins, there is no pattern to where the spots are and they are not just on their fins and gills, mine has 1 on its eye..
I tried to take a pic but trying to take a photo of a harlequin rasbora with an iphone is pretty much pointless

Thanks for your time lunch!!! I'm continuously monitoring, but I don't see any other white spots either in this fish or the other one. For now I'm leaning towards Ich and treating with Paraguard, salt, UV and the temp is 72 along with daily PWC. I'm not using heater, but that is the ambient temp. I've my room temp at 68, but I think probably UV is adding up to the heat.

hmm day 5 and still the white spots are on the fish. No noticeable difference in the fish behavior. Increase the temp to 75 F. Any suggestions?

yeah read about copper, but I'm just starting and don't want to use heavy medication. for now, I'm using paraguard, ginger, aqua salt and temp combination. My big question is how much temp Orandas can tolerate.

2 weeks on temp 80+ degrees, paraguard 15ml every day, aqua salt 1 tablespoon for each 5 gallons and daily 40% water change but nothing changed. My oranda still has the white spot and spread to another spot in the tail!!! can someone tell me what is wrong in what I'm doing?

And food soaked in garlic juice and sometimes feed dry ginger poweder.

To me it just doesn't look like ich. At that temp, etc ich should of either spread or be gone by now.

Is it a white spot within the tail or on the tail?

huh it is a tough call, It looks more like on the surface than within the tail. But still not sure. will have to check again.

Could be a cracked ray on the fin (doesn't look it) or viral (like a small wart except that is a bad description as I have lost the link I had that explained other possibilities better, grr).

after reading so many forums, I'm still leaning towards ICH. But will it take so long to cure or spread?! I don't mind doing the daily water changes and all related stuff for ICH. But how much more time should I wait before trying something else. But, I'm still not sure what that something else is!!!

I use UV filter along with Paraguard. Is this an issue? I read on some other forum that UV filter will convert paraguard into toxic? true?

Usually ich is pretty quick to spread. And bumping up temp makes it cycle faster.

I have it in one of my tanks now. I am using kordons ick attack which is a more natural non-chemical treatment. I've seen mixed reviews on it working. I have loaches, shrimp and love plants so I have to be super careful. So far for me it has been working. I am down to 1 loach that has it (I think and maybe 1 tetra). I also caught it early- it looked worse for a day or so - the ich has to go through its cycle but now it is all going away.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom