Using already cycled water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThomasG07

Aquarium Advice Freak
A friend of mine gave me some of his water from an already cycled tank. I realize using cycled media would be better but I couldn't get any. It's not very much water so should I just soak one of my filters in it? ( I have two filters)

I don't think it will help a lot. If it was me I'd just drain out how ever much he gave in the tank. Then you can pour in what your friend gave you the filter will cycle threw it then. The media or gravel/sand would have been best.

A friend of mine gave me some of his water from an already cycled tank. I realize using cycled media would be better but I couldn't get any. It's not very much water so should I just soak one of my filters in it? ( I have two filters)

Water contains little to no beneficial bacteria, with regard to the nitrification cycle. Using water from a cycled tank, soaking your filters/media in water from a cycled tank, etc. will not have any measurable impact. You should proceed as though you are starting from scratch. If you have access to a healthy tank that you know is fully cycled, however, you can attach your filter to that tank for a few weeks (in addition to the filter that is already on it). This will allow your filter to build up a colony of BB. You can then move the filter onto your new tank (assuming the new tank will have a similar or lesser bio-load and gradually build up if necessary).

Otherwise, see:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.htmlI just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

or

The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

Theres no such thing as 'cycled water'. Your welcome to add the water to your tank if your positive theres no risk of disease but it likely wont make any difference. Your good bacteria excrete a sticky substance that allows them to colonize on the surfaces of everything in a tank, namely the filter media where they have the greatest access to nutrition & oxygen. The amount of bacteria in the water column is miniscule. Ask your friend to donate some media! :)

Back
Top Bottom