Uv light in a planted tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rafy0126

Aquarium Advice Activist
Anybody got any got any experience with a Uv light in a planted tank ???

It's no different than any other tank, not sure what your question is?

UV sterilizers- as they are called- should have no effect on your plants. These lights kill some types of algae and bacteria if they are in contact with the light long enough. If your tank has good water quality and proper lighting they are a wast of money.

UV sterilizers- as they are called- should have no effect on your plants. These lights kill some types of algae and bacteria if they are in contact with the light long enough. If your tank has good water quality and proper lighting they are a wast of money.

I wouldn't say they are a waste, but if you stay on top of WC's you should be fine. They are a good backup, so if it will add to your peace of mind it won't HURT your tank.

Ok the thing is I want discus later in my tank and I was wondering if a uv will be a good addition to my tank, since I read they do a good job cleaning harmful out of the water. But since I have a dirt tank I was wondering if the uv would affect the plants somehow.

It will not hurt the plants. It will kill good and bad bacteria but only in water going through the light. It will not kill the good bacteria in your filter media and any other solid subject in your tank.

i run mine 24/7...water like crystal and no diseases in 2 years

Back
Top Bottom