Vacation advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flossie

Aquarium Advice Addict
K Guys I'm going out of town for about a week for vacation. I have a rummynose/ Cory tank. Community tank with angels / zebra danios and shrimp which are fine with the small angels ( this is also where the rummies and cory will be later on ) I have an African cichlid tank with a pleco and red tail shark and I have a goldfish tank and a Betta/shrimp tank. Total of five tanks. I don't want them to go a whole week without food and I have no one to care for them. I cannot afford the auto feeders for every tank. Any Solutions?

they will be fine going a week with out food. i would just feed kind of heavy the day you leave and do a water change to get any uneaten food out.

edit: not sure about the goldfish, they dont have stomachs so i dont know if they can go extended periods without food.

A store near me sells pyramid shaped food (bout 2" square base) for use when going away for a few days.

These provide enough food for the fish I imagine (never had to use em my self!)

Maybe something like this would be useful?

nottooslow said:
they will be fine going a week with out food. i would just feed kind of heavy the day you leave and do a water change to get any uneaten food out.

edit: not sure about the goldfish, they dont have stomachs so i dont know if they can go extended periods without food.
I've left them
Without food before for a few days but I'm worried about a whole week...

Scouser said:
A store near me sells pyramid shaped food (bout 2" square base) for use when going away for a few days.

These provide enough food for the fish I imagine (never had to use em my self!)

Maybe something like this would be useful?

I was thinking about this but I've read they foul the water so I'm a little reluctant. I wonder if they will work for all the fish I have? Even bottom feeders?

I have a pet nanny that comes in to take care of my dogs and fish whenever necessary. You can also see if you can hire a tech from your vet's office to do it.

When we go away for 10 days, I have the fish fed every 3rd day. Do NOT give one large feeding prior to leaving. This will only lead to the possibility of an ammonia spike in the tank during your absence.

The auto feeders sometimes work well, research them carefully.

Do NOT purchase the blocks of food as these do nothing but filthy up the tank and also can lead to an ammonia spike.

LyndaB said:
I have a pet nanny that comes in to take care of my dogs and fish whenever necessary. You can also see if you can hire a tech from your vet's office to do it.

When we go away for 10 days, I have the fish fed every 3rd day. Do NOT give one large feeding prior to leaving. This will only lead to the possibility of an ammonia spike in the tank during your absence.

The auto feeders sometimes work well, research them carefully.

Do NOT purchase the blocks of food as these do nothing but filthy up the tank and also can lead to an ammonia spike.

That's kinda what I thought ( all the above) lol arrrggg I'm in a pickle. At least I can take the dogs with me.... Just gotta figure out the fishy stuff...
I can't really afford auto feeders for all the tanks or to hire someone to come in... Even if I could/would hire someone I would not feel right having ppl I do not know in my home. I barely trust the ppl I do know! Haha

You're not really in a pickle. You should be able to leave your fish for a week. I would turn the lights off though.

LyndaB said:
You're not really in a pickle. You should be able to leave your fish for a week. I would turn the lights off though.

No doubt. Algae is not my friend! Lol
I really didn't want them to go a whole week but that may be my only option.

Back
Top Bottom