Video of my Angels caring for eggs after spawn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kansei

Aquarium Advice Activist
Here's a clip of the Angels caring for their eggs . Never seen them spawn this time but it was about 2-3 hours after they laid . This is the 5 or 6 spawn I know of and the third on a leaf others were on glass . They have kept them safe in the community tank for a day so far - its the furthest so far .

Very cool!

IME Angels will always eat the eggs or fry when spawning in a community tank. I think the constant threat of predation wears them out. They eventually get the idea that the spawn will make a better meal for them than their tankmates.

If you really want to raise a spawn you should provide the pair with their own tank.

The sword was my pleco's idea right after he pulled it they spawned on it . It seems to be pinned in the corner with a nice gentle flow so I left it be - didn't want to disturb anything (water level was down - plants pulled up and I was afraid to top it up , replant till I could see how they are ) . They seem to have caring for the eggs down . When/if they get to wigglers I hope to have then in another tank. I was told when I bought them that they had spawned in the tank at the LFS but I had them for 3 months before they spawned again , and I wonder if a change to another tank would stop them from spawning . If I did put the in a new tank would a 25 or 20 tall be OK?

The sword was my pleco's idea right after he pulled it they spawned on it .

I'm laughing only because I know exactly what you mean, mine does the same although he never managed to do it with a sword.

If you are interested in breeding after hatching, removing the eggs (sword and all) to a breeding tank (a 20g could work until the wigglers grew out and you'd have enough room for the sword). Check out these pages for breeding info:

http://websvirginia.com/angels/pairraisingyoung/index.htm
http://www.angelsplus.com/Breeding.htm

Back
Top Bottom