Wal mart fish lol read this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

divedeep1689

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys i work at wal mart as a assembler well two days ago i found out some funny as things about wal mart fish lol did you know that the way they remember if their fish are compatible with others in the store is the price!!!! lol get this if one fish is 2.38 and the other 2.68 the eight being the same means compatible!!!!!! LOL!!!!! WOW IDIOTS!!!!!!! Glad they dont do saltwater fish lol they say if the fish is from the same family it will be compatible..... lol oh and they say a aquarium only has to be ran 24 hours before adding fish!! lol

No offense but the wal-marts by me are pretty much all section 8 ran. You cant go into any around me without some moron in a blue vest trying to BS a customer.

Not to excuse it but I'm sure it just the economies of scale. If you isolate selection and price point not to mention gallon-age (word?) then the numbers become unmanageable.

Through all the complaining about big box stores we still need to think if it would be better for everyone involved if it would be better to offer nothing. One wonders what online and specialty prices would be then if a total segment of the market was removed.

Yes and no, BB does nothing for the cost due to crap selection of merch and unkept livestock.

you will still have LFS and LPS not to mention societies and their expansion if supply goes low and prices go high. There are always alternatives. besides where I order from online compares their prices to LFS prices and at least its a 30% less thru this company( local but no storefront ). Ultra low prices on aquarium supplies and equipment

I use them for all m supplies now.

I dont think if meijer or walmart or kmart whatever takes the pet section out of their stores. dry foods for dogs and cats sure but aquatics have no business in stores like walmart.

I, personally, would be willing to give up the added availability and a little on price, if the fish stores that remain were held to basic care and training standards.

In fact I think lax standards are more likely to lead to fish sections being done away with due to public protest and embarrassing lapses--one of these days they will be subhect to activist campaigns. Raising standards is what will make these stores successful and able to keep operating.

What's nice is if you and everyone else exercises those choices you'll get what you want. Each time you buy from there, in that department you enable them.

Simply don't buy from them. The large chains are entirely profit driven. If the aquatics center becomes a loss leader, they will revamp it. It's happened in the past, but Walmart to cite a specific hired an independent 3rd party to try to salvage the section. Every "I saved a Walmart (insert any chain store) betta" thread equals a sale and enables them. I personally doubt that the loss of their sales will drive up prices, but I can see some of the reasoning behind that idea with drygoods. The difference is that the drygoods they sell are not the same ones that non-tinkerers seek out and purchase. So what? Tetra and Top Fin take a hit... that won't affect the brick and mortar or online merchants in any significant way. Livestock is similar.... the less chain store fish sold, the more that the responsible outlets can demand quality over quantity. Price may be impacted on a small scale, but in the end the mass merchant won't be the one driving demand. It will be consumer choice and real demand. Those $2.88 fish wholesale for around $1.25 for most and $.40 in huge supply. If the profit margin differential is narrowed, then the true hobbyist and the true LFS wins. I ramble so I'll quit... I've spent many hours of research, thought, and debate involving this issue so I do take it a bit personally.

Wow, pretty crazy. I went to the local walmart and it was pitiful. They thot the African cichlids were saltwater fish and said it was a saltwater tank :eek2:. Never looking there again, I can't believe how awful it is. I'll just stay my lfs for fish.

one of the walmarts where i live does not carry cichlids anymore... wonder why? in their golfish and koi tanks, there are more dead than alive, and none of the other walmarts carry fish around here anymore. Its no wonder they dont, i went there once and it took 30 minutes of waiting to get somebody to come help, and when they did, it was a guy that worked in lawn and garden who had no clue what anything was... they had guppies, koi, and mollies in the same tank, asked for a molly, he started to catch a koi... at least petsmart employees have a general idea what each fish is, or a picture to tell the difference

i know wat ya mean i was trying to do my job going to garden center to grab a grill to assemble for a customer when i overheard a sales associate and customer arguing he had given her one of those cleaner fish when she was asking for a guppy

In their defense, at least they gave you the 24 hours to get the chlorine out of the water :p. Well that's about it... Chlorine would kill the fish way faster than ammonia, and as in every other rant thread I've replied to, I had to bring forth the problem isn't with the store, but it's with the consumer.
#1 you can not buy.
#2 99% (maybe I'm exaggerating, but it seems accurate) of Americans and most other developed countries want everything now. That is the basis of capitalism... basically...
#3, They don't like to be told something they don't like. If one store tells you to wait a month before adding fish, they will either. (this goes along with #2#
A. give up on the fish or
B. buy somewhere that doesn't make them wait
#4, people who buy fish from Wal Mart (no offense) generally don't know what they're doing. I bought my first fish tank (a five gallon set) from Wal Mart, my fish died, (I was around 7-8ish) and gave up. Started up around 5 years later, and actually know something about fish :p.
#5, (I'm not totally sure about this one) But Wal Mart doesn't have to pay for fish they kill. They count them, and tell the distributor, who adds them to the next order. And they buy in such quantity, that it is basically nothing to them.
#6, Wal Mart doesn't make money off fish, but the tanks, air pumps, filters, food, etc.

I could add another 14 and end at an even 20, but...
#1 you probably wouldn't want to read it
#2 I want to go to bed... :p

I went by one yesterday and it was REALLY sad. The aquariums had no sand/gravel, no decorations and the was was filthy! I looked at the poor bettas in their tiny dishes, and nasty water. I wanted to buy all of them to try and "save" them, but I figured it would be more trouble than it was worth. It looked like all of the males gills were falling apart from the inside, and they looked SO sad! I really, really hate animal cruelty of any kind, even kids ripping spiders legs off (although I pretty much just did it with my fish, and not cycling the tank, lesson learned!). My "local" PetSmart has a guy working there who knows what he is talking about. He helped me for about 2 hours yesterday finding stuff to take care of the tanks, and NOT trying to get me to buy a bunch of unnessary junk. He was even bringing stuff out of their backroom to show me how they do pwc's and stuff. I will keep going there. He also knew about all the different kind of fish and how big they would get, and who would get along. When my 20G gets done cycling I am either going to get some dwarf fish of some kind or some guppies. I was thinking about these certain goldfish but they get HUGE! I will probably end up getting some bettas too lol!

Wow I didn't know Walmart still sold live fish. I had hoped that their poor quality and terrible standards would have made them just do away with the section. Once I realized how deplorable their treatment and selection (not to mention the short life span of animals purchased from there) I stopped buying from them... I just assumed everyone else did too.

I guess I was wrong. I am not even remotely surprised that their employees aren't trained to understand the differences between each type of pet. They are understaffed and their sales do not revolve around quality. Regardless, whomever said it first in this thread, I agree: don't buy from Walmart! =\

ya dont ever buy fish from wal-mart! not to hate on the wallyworld i love to shop there for other items but no my animals. last time i walked over to the fish area there was ALOT dead, there was nothing in the tank (not even a substrate! just fish) it was really poorly run. i would only trust a fish place when buying my fish....:tgv:

Back
Top Bottom