Wanted red cherry shrimp & plants - Maine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aquabid.com is a great site. I have also bought many shrimp off of ebay.

Do you have specific plants in mind? You might find members here willing to sell you some at next to nothing as compared to any retail.

I've checked out aquabid, but I only want a couple of shrimp and it seems most auctions are for 12 or more shrimp. Is there a member local to me that I might be able to purchase 2 from, or should I have more than 2 anyway?

That would be great for plants! I'm interested in some Java moss to attatch to a couple pieces of driftwood. And, something tall for the background and to hide guppy/molly fry.

I think you will want more than 2. RCS have almost no effect on your bioload, and RCS only live a year to 18 months... you want enough to establish a colony so that they breed.

For the plants, post a WTB add in the classified section of the forum.

Thank you for the informataion,
I didn't realize that tRCS were that easy on the bioload and have such a short life span. I'm off to continue looking at aquabid and I'll try ebay too.

Thanks again!

Do you have a suggestion on a tall background plant that would work for hiding fry?

What kind of lighting do you have, and what size tank? Are you injecting CO2 or planning to do so? Are you using any fertilizers? All of those questions will help to identify some good plant choices.

I have a 20 gallon high tank with a standard 1 bulb hood with 1 plant bulb and no co2. I leave the light on for more than 12 hours per day. I've read about maybe putting a root tab under melon swords and that flourish trace is a good all around fertilizer, but haven't added either of those yet. The plants that I have right now are grown from bulbs.

I'm also getting a 40 gallon set up in a couple of days. I'm not sure what lighting comes with that yet - it's a used set up.

Is it a T8 florescent bulb?

root tabs for swords is a good idea. There won't be many plant choices with lighting that low.

Java ferns
Anubias
Java moss
crypts

Check out PlantGeek.net - Your Aquatic Plant Resource. You can sort the guide by lighting requirements. Anything with low light requirements would have a potential to work in your tank.

Also, reduce the lighting to 8-10 hours a day. More than 12 hours a day is not good. Plants need time in the dark for respiration to occur...

I believe it's a T8 florescent.

I just looked at your link briefly, that looks like a great place to start looking for plants for my low lighting conditions. Thank you for including that.

Back
Top Bottom