washing black sand, does it ever run clear?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kristilynn

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought a bucket of used black sand. Not used long. I put some in a bucket and have been running water through it. It has this dusty stuff rinsing out of it. Will it ever run clear? Seem like a lota water for the amount of sand I am rinsing. :ermm:

I use black diamond blasting sand and have always thought it rinses MUCH faster than any sand I've used before, especially play sand, which took me forever.

Sent from my QMV7A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I use black diamond blasting sand and have always thought it rinses MUCH faster than any sand I've used before, especially play sand, which took me forever.

That's funny, I always thought black diamond blasting sand took much much longer to wash than any other sand.

The easiest way to rinse it is to use a large wide container to get the sand in a thin layer then use a hose on it.

I washed the entire 50lb bag in under 30 minutes. Threw it in the tank with a powerhead with an attached water bottle filled with filter floss and the water was crystal clear in under 30 minutes as well. 65g tank. Never had a problem with it the stuff. I spent 2-3 hours rinsing an ice cream bucket of play sand however lol. I wash in the bathtub, living in apartments means no water hose.

I read the thread about the black blasting sand. I don't know where there is a tractor supply place around here. Looked in the yellow pages, no luck:( Guess my used sand wasn't such a good deal after all :facepalm: Another life leason learned.

Hmm pillow case is a new one for me. Ill have to remember that myself

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks Hensleyjk. Watertown is about 20 miles or so. Have to look into that. I'll also try spreading it thin and turning the hose on what I have. about 40#. I still need about 35#. :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom