"waste water "drinkable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishlips12

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just got my new three-stage RO filter and it is chugging along at a rapid 25 gpd. Yeeesh I can sweat that much .... in Alaska. Anyways the water or reject water that I believe goes throught the two prefilters only.. is that drinkable? At a 4:1 reject rate I would like to save as much as I can for drinking if at all possible. Any thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance.

from what the guy at the LFS said...its undrinkable. the water is too pure for humans and has to have a special add on to put some minerals BACK into the water.

I would not drink the waste water, depending on the quality of your water before the filter, it may, or may not, be drinkable. If your concerned about the waste, save the waste water and use it to wash cloths or water the garden ;)

Speaking of RO units. I have been looking for one, maybe will buy when I have the extra cash. I do not understand how they work or how they attatch to your water lines.

Could someone recommend a site for this information. I would like to read about how they actually hok up and run as apposed to who sells them.

Thanks
Howard

Butters said:
from what the guy at the LFS said...its undrinkable. the water is too pure for humans and has to have a special add on to put some minerals BACK into the water.

As far as I am concerned thats a false statment when your talking abou tthe Good water. I have been drinking this water for a long time with no problems. Its darn good water. Better than that bottled water junk they sell in the stores.

I agree I would not overly drink the waste water as the minerals and other elements are more concentrated. I use waste water to wash clothes.

We have a decent set of e-mail responses to common RO water questions in our articles area.

You may want to check out this website: www.airwaterice.com I just bought a dual use (home RO, tank - RO/DI - 50 GPD, 3-stage) for $189. Includes a 4 Gal sotrage tank and a faucet for the sink (for the home use). All fittings and accessories are included and instructions are clear and easily understood. I have just installed mine and will do the final taps into the water and waste lines this weekend. But for the price, I thought it was a great deal. He has a number to call if you have any questions on the hook-up. Hook up is very simple, basically there is a tap to your cold water line and another to your waste water drain. The unit works by passing water by a series of filters and a membrane that only allows the water molucules for the most part to pass through. It depends on the pressure differential between your home water pressure and the collection side of the membrane to force the water through. Ratio is somewhere around a 4/1 (4 gallons of water to 1 gallon of RO water. for the fish tank it is run further through a de-ionization chamber which is filled with a bunch of resin beads. This chamber acts to further remove all charges particles from the water (negative and positive). Thus what you have at the end is absolutely pure water. See the site as he has a more detailed explanation of the way this all works but the hook-up is very simple for the average Joe (or Jane)

Back
Top Bottom