Water bugs...help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matty2085

Aquarium Advice Activist
So today I went out and bought some lava rock and a couple of java fern for my SA cichlid tank that I am setting up. After walking home about 30 mins with 25 kilo of rock I couldn't be bothered to start aquascaping. I put the plants into the tank ready for tomorrow's big push at making a home for my new Afra Jalo Reef. Stupidly, I forgot to wash the plants and I now have a load of minute bugs floating around. They are probably about the size of a grain of sand, maybe smaller with a small tail like thing. White/brown in colour and don't move a great deal...just seem to hang in the water and squirm around occasionally.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what these might be? I sorry the description is not great but I cannot take a photo as they are so small. Also could the be harmful to cichlids once I get them? Thanks

Thanks for that. Having had a look at images of scuds and hydra I would say that they aren't what I have. Mine look more like Copepoda although they don't have a split tail.

Sounds lke copepods. A lotta the copepods only show a split at the end of the tail, and in smaller types it looks like they have a single tail to the naked eye.

WYite

Brilliant thanks. I've been scouring images online and they are they only thing that comes close really. Harmful to fish? Well they go away/get eaten or should I water change?

Brilliant thanks. I've been scouring images online and they are they only thing that comes close really. Harmful to fish? Well they go away/get eaten or should I water change?

Complicated questions. Most species are harmless and will get nommed on. On the other hand, some are parasitic. The so-called anchor worm is one such parasitic copepod.

Based on yer description, I'd guess the ones ya have are most likely harmless and will disappear quickly once ya have a predator in the tank.

WYite

Managed to get a couple of pics. I'm guessing they are not so clear so clear but hopefully give an idea of what I have. They look like upside down balloons!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 86
Back
Top Bottom