water change question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pipedreamer86 said:
I've only seen trace ammonia and 0 nitrites since I.fishless cycled my tank, but I thought the nitrite phase would never end, lasted a.full week then it.was gone. Got my 150g gallon to where I could does above 4ppm ammonia and have it gone in 25 hrs. I swear by the pure ammonia fishless cycle method, got a filter with enough bb to.stop a bus!

So I ended up finding a 30 gallon at a garage sale. I'm fish less cycling it. Any tips on how to get that bus stopping filter? I started on Thanksgiving Day added ammonia to get to 5ppm and it's held fast at that haven't added anymore.

So since thanksgiving you havent had any drop in your ammonia? What is the temp of your tank and what kind of filter are you using? Do you have any established tanks?

1 PWC per day should be fine for a fish-in cycle until it completes. I wouldn't try dilluting/removing nitrites from a tank that is cycling anyway. The water is safe for 24 hours after you condition it each day.

You only need to be considering back to back (to back to back) changes when your nitrAtes are too high, like 60-80ppm. Took me 4 in a row to get from 80 to 10 in my 55 this weekend changing 50% each time. My 37 was also at 80ppm and 3x 50% PWC's managed to get it down to 30-40ish. I plan to do that one 4x this weekend again. My fish are very lively since doing so, I've just been neglecting it lately and had a couple of new Cory's die after a 2 hour drip acclimation about 2 to 3 days after they went in, which threw a red flag :| I should be testing every week or two, but you know how that goes when a tank is almost a year into establishment...

Pipedreamer86 said:
So since thanksgiving you havent had any drop in your ammonia? What is the temp of your tank and what kind of filter are you using? Do you have any established tanks?

Nope no drop just checked and still holding. The temperature is 72 the heater I have is not working correctly and the filter is a whisper 30

I know I need to raise my heat and I am getting a new heater this weekend so that will take care of that.... Other than that I thought it was just wait and add ammonia when needed....

Back
Top Bottom