Water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

55gls

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been doing 30 pct water changes on my 55 gallon community tank every three weeks it's fairly new setup on sept 5th.
Everything is going well. My question is if I do a water change this weekend can I add more fish or wait?
I probably know the answer but want more fish! This is an addiction.

I have been doing 30 pct water changes on my 55 gallon community tank every three weeks it's fairly new setup on sept 5th. Everything is going well. My question is if I do a water change this weekend can I add more fish or wait? I probably know the answer but want more fish! This is an addiction.

your not doing nearly enough water changes. i do 50% weekly on mine. do you have a test kit? if so which one?

your not doing nearly enough water changes. i do 50% weekly on mine. do you have a test kit? if so which one?

Agreed. Without regular testing you can't know whether your tank has cycled. If it isn't cycled, you should hold off getting more fish.
Furthermore, if you don't want to do more frequent water changes, you shouldn't increase your bioload.

I do have API test kits ph ammonia and nitrate the test tube type
Ph is at 7.0 ammonia has been at its lowest legal since day one and the nitrates also read the lowest level on the color card

So you are roughly 8 Weeks into your cycle and you should be there, but your levels should be Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate no more then 40ppm, How many fish do you currently have in there? what kind? if you don't have enough of a bio-load you won't see any results either.

I do atleast 50% PWC every week on my 55. How did you cycle? If ammonia was never introduced you wouldn't see any results.

I agree with everyone else that you should be doing larger/more frequent water changes. I also do a 50% once per week.

Also, you say "more" fish. Do you already have fish in? If so, what and how many?

Cycling with fish in is perfectly acceptable, but does require frequent water changes (far more than 30% every three weeks) and monitoring to ensure that everyone stays healthy.

I have the following fish
Two angle
Two clown loch
Two catfish
Two gourami
Four sword tail pineapple
Six rummy nose tetra
Two red eye tetra
And three more tetra of some type I forgot the name there kind of transparent with red fins and white tips
Had fish since first week tank was running
Most got ick and died only original fish are the six rummy nose and the two red eye

Back
Top Bottom