water changes during cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsBeanCtr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am in the process of cycling my tank and was wondering what the suggestion is for PWC's during the cycling period? I'm cycling with LR and I've only had the tank up and running for approximately 2 weeks.

Also, I've been reading several of the posts and this site has been extremely helpful for me in getting this whole thing set up. I've had FW tanks for several years but SW is a completely different animal all together!

Thanks much for any input you can offer.

Ooops....I forgot to ask about the LR

As I said I have LR in the tank currently (along with 2 very fuzzy dead shrimp). Should I be concerned with the amount of dark orange algae recently growing on the LR? The LFS said I should get some snails? I don't really want to put anything in the tank until it's fully cycled.

Thank you again!

You should be good, I wouldn't add any snails until the cycle is over. This will also provide a great amount of food for them, when you are ready. Do you have a test kit?

Yes, and I anxiously test the nitrates etc regularly (ok, I admit...daily)

Watch the ammonia and nitrites more for now. When they both spike and return to zero, the cycle is complete and you can add that cleaning crew and a fish. 8)

The only thing I would add to austinsdad (since this is the advice he gave me), don't order the whole clean up crew from online sites, as they tend to be more for a mature tank. Personally, I would look at a place like liveaquaria.com and get a good idea of what to get and knock it down by about 1/2 or even less. It's easier to add more than to have them starve and , possibly, foul your tank.....

Back
Top Bottom