Water changes?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Soccerdude

Aquarium Advice Activist
How often should I do a water change in a 46g fowlr with wet dry filter and protein skimmer. It also has activated carbon. In the tank there is a grunt, a French angel, and a rockbeauty angel along with lots of live Rock and live sand. I have been doing a 15 percent about every 3 weeks, my water quality is good but some think this is simply not enough.

25% a week and 50% a month is a pretty standard routine but you could get a better estimate by testing your water first and seeing what your parameters are and change water accordingly

There is no standard for water changes because every system is different. Different livestock, different size tank, different feeding habits, different filtration, different aeration...
Just remember that every bit of food you add to the tank, eaten or not, must be removed by you eventually.

mr_X said:
There is no standard for water changes because every system is different. Different livestock, different size tank, different feeding habits, different filtration, different aeration...
Just remember that every bit of food you add to the tank, eaten or not, must be removed by you eventually.

I second that. I typically do 10% ish every week and a half. I guess you can just kind of tell when the water needs to be changed. I would say just go with what you feel is best. I would not change 50%or more all at one time, Instead do smaller more regularly scheduled ones.

Back
Top Bottom