Water cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alzy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Nitrates @ 140 ppm. Tank only has 1 Oto all others died from old age . Wisteria grew like crazy with fish. Understand the relationship between fish wasteand plant growtth. Continuing filtration . Can I restock? Wisteria. doing ok will newfish wastes be absorbed by plants and establish astable I environment

What changes are needed,

Get those NO3 levels down to 20ppm at weeks end, 10-15ppm after a water change.

Plants will use up some nutrients yes, but they are not a water change replacement.

If wisteria is your only plant and your NO3 levels are pushing 160ppm, water changes are impossible to get around.

Nitrates

Nitrates @ 140 ppm. Tank only has 1 Oto all others died from old age . Wisteria grew like crazy with fish. Understand the relationship between fish wasteand plant growtth. Continuing filtration . Can I restock? Wisteria. doing ok will newfish wastes be absorbed by plants and establish astable I environment

Hello Al...

Nitrates really need to be lower. 40 ppm isn't bad, so 140 is too high. To reduce this form of nitrogen, you need to change more water and change it more often. Tanks less than 30 gallons need a couple of 50 percent water changes every week. Larger tanks, need half the water removed and replaced every week. This will reduce the nitrates and keep the reading steady. Fish simply need a steady water chemistry to be healthy and you get there through large, regular water changes.

B

Back
Top Bottom