Water test from big box petstore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Titaniumtim

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys. Got a Pictus Cat today for the bottom of my tank. Just out of curiosity i thought i would test the water to see the difference between mine and the pet stores. WOW!! I know they are way overstocked in each tank, but i thought they had systems that compensated for that. Here's the pet stores water:
Amm-.25/ Nitrites-2-5 /Nitrates-80-160/ High PH-8.

My water:
Amm-0-.25/ Nitrites-0/ Nitrates-5-10/ High PH-7.6.

I'm one or two blocks away from them. I thought the water would be around the same. I think I will take a little extra time acclimating my new buddy!!!

Here's a pic of the pet stores water. the colors aren't exactly reproduced exactly right but u get the idea. Sorry its sideways.

Attachments

• 2014-06-20 16.24.01.jpg
    2014-06-20 16.24.01.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 61
Wow - I thought it would be much better too! I've seen high readings for bettas in little holding tanks but thought main tanks would be better.

I bet they are using test strips instead of liquid tests. I know the petsmart a few miles away does because they tried to tell me to buy the strips. I said i heard they aren't that reliable and she said they use them for their tanks, and that they are fine.lol

Back
Top Bottom