Water wisteria leaves keep falling off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matty2085

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi there,

I was just wondering whether anyone had any experience with water wisteria? I bought a couple of bunches from my LFS on Thursday. I gave them a reasonably thorough washing and planted them. Now I am finding that leaves, both whole and parts, are coming off and floating. I know they have only been in there for a couple of days but was wondering what could be causing this. I have had them before with no problems. I was wondering whether fish may be attacking them but I don't think this is the case. I currently have guppies, platties, 1 siamese algae eater and 2 Otos (or at least I think they are!!!). My parameters are normal ie NH4 0 NO2 0 NO3 c~20 25degrees.

Anyone have any advice or am I just being impatient and these are just damaged leaves that are finally dropping?

Many thanks in advance

Can you get us some pictures? It's very likely that the plant you bought was grown emersed, and is currently transitioning to submerged growth, which is a normal process.

Ah ok. So here are a couple of pics. The first of the leaf growth and the second an example of a floating piece of leaf. The leaves sometimes float as whole large leaves or as small pieces as shown in the photo.

image-3321823050.jpg

image-402249527.jpg

Mine is doing the same way and I bought mine submerged the tops look great but the bottoms not so much

I have water wisteria as well. The tops of mine are large and bushy. The stem itself, doesn't have many leaves on it.

Ok so I'm guessing this is just because they're new and adjusting. They were submerged in the LFS but may not have been in there long. Just hope that its nt fish destroying them.

No it's not just the bottom leaves that are doing this. It is happening all over the plant, although appears that it may be slowing down a bit now so I suspect that it is just damaged/older leave that are being shed.

Back
Top Bottom