weird problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcla6783

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

My tank is about 5 months old right now. Starting about a month ago I started noticing some problems with my fish. They have been developing these spots all over their bodies, which are attached for 3-4 days and then gone for 3-4 days. I know this is the behavior of ICH but I really don't think that is what it is. The spots are both bright and salt grain looking and fuzzy cotton looking. The bright spots come off when I do a freshwater dip, but the fuzzy spots do not. I noticed today my clown is swimming in place and it looks like his tail has been eaten or rotted. There are no fish in my tank that would pick on the clown so its something else. Here are 2 pictures I just took.

sickclown1.JPG

and

tail1.JPG

Any ideas of what this might be? Is it a fungus and not a parasite?

any thoughts/suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks
[/url]

Most definately ich. The fuzziness may be due to a secondary infection/irritation.
The course of action would be to remove ALL fish to a qt tank and treat with hyposalinity or copper. The main tank will need to remain fishless for a period of at least 6 weeks to allow the parasites to go through their life cycle and die off. Leave inverts in the main, they are not hosts.
Here are some guidelines for treatment.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=7
Please let us know of any specific questions.

I need a lot more information about your tank history, parameters, etc., etc., before I can offer an opinion. It is possible that you are dealing with multiple pathogens such as brooklynella, cryptocaryon (ich) and a bacterial infection. You need to get a probable diagnosis and take action quickly. Are the fish in a reef or a fish only system without live rock? Do you quarantine all fish for 3+ weeks before putting them into the display? When was the last fish added? What species are involved other than the clownfish. How long have you been in the hobby? Give us more tools (information) to work with.

Cheers,
Terry B

Hi,

here is the information you are requesting.

my tank parameters are nitrate,nitrite,ammonia all undetectable. PH is averaging 8.0. My tank includes 2 anemones, 4 ricordias, 2 shrimp, a feather duster, a star fish, and various snails and hermits. My tank has 120 lbs of live rock. The fish were all added about 2 months ago. They were QT'd by a friend for about a week and given a formil bath for precaution. All the fish in my tank have shown signs, but the worest effected has been a lemonpeel angel (died 3 days ago), 2 clowns, 3 green chromises, and the purple back pseudochromis. The pseudochromis was COVERED a few days ago .. now there isnt a spot on him but he is covered with scars. I have a blue stripe neon goby that has fuzzy spots on its tail and fins .. looks a bit different than that on the rest of the fish. Ive been in the hobby for about 7 months or so.

Last night the clown I took the picture of took a turn for the worest. Within 1 hour it completely lost its color, fell to the sand and died .. I have never seen a fish die that quickly. Now I have a chromis doing the same thing!!

Get them out to qt fast, this is definately parasitic in nature and sounds like advanced stages.
I have been through this as have many on this board. The treatment I outlined above is the only way to go.
1 week of qt is not enough time to be assured these is no disease process.
Sorry, you are having this trouble. We will help you through.
At this point I would treat with cupramine (need a test kit to keep levels at treatment level) in a separate qt system. Hypo would take too long to establish in the stage your fish are in. IMO

Back
Top Bottom