Well-established water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydooms

Aquarium Advice Addict
Blue rams needs well-established water. What exactly does that mean? And that they are most likely to die if water is not "old" enough. Please somebody explain this. Thanks.

Well-established means the Nitrogen Cycle is fully complete and that the tank parameters are stable. 0 Ammonia 0 Nitrite and LT20 Nitrate. Same meaning with the "old".

itsgracia said:
Well-established means the Nitrogen Cycle is fully complete and that the tank parameters are stable. 0 Ammonia 0 Nitrite and LT20 Nitrate. Same meaning with the "old".

Oh ok. My tank is cycled. I was told that the older the tank the more acidic it gets. I thought that's what it meant by "old". My tank is well-established then. :)

I was told that the older the tank the more acidic it gets.

That is only true if you have something acidic in your tank, like unseasoned driftwood, limestone, or coral.

Using distilled water instead of tap water can do the same thing.

An average fw tank with proper PWC will not become acidic without a reason.

mudraker said:
That is only true if you have something acidic in your tank, like unseasoned driftwood, limestone, or coral.

Using distilled water instead of tap water can do the same thing.

An average fw tank with proper PWC will not become acidic without a reason.

That's good info. Thank you. I have 3 mid size driftwoods. What does unseasoned driftwood mean? Still with tannins?

mudraker said:

I boiled mine. The water wasn't clear though. It was still tea-like color. I don't have any problem with my aquarium water turning brown. What do you think? My pH plays around 7.4-7.8. I want it lower..

mudraker said:
Why do you want it lower?

I really like discus but I couldn't meet the requirements. I was thinking that my tank will get more acidic and it'll be fine with the discus. I was thinking of buying more driftwoods but I don't want a brown-water tank.

You might want to check...I could be wrong, but I think blue rams prefer a ph <7. I looked into GBRs and discus when I started my tank and ruled them out for the same reason you decided against the discus. (My Ph sits at right about the same as yours.)

I was mistaken earlier, I don't know why I said coral or limestone will lower your ph. It will raise your ph. Sorry about that, I don't know what I was thinking.

Lowering your ph is a tricky business and generally not a good idea.

If you have to have discus, check to see what PH they are being kept in at the LFS you buy them from. If it matches yours, you might have a better success rate.

Even discus can acclimate to higher ph levels.

Coleallensmom said:
You might want to check...I could be wrong, but I think blue rams prefer a ph <7. I looked into GBRs and discus when I started my tank and ruled them out for the same reason you decided against the discus. (My Ph sits at right about the same as yours.)

I guess I'll pass on GBRs. That is sad. Thanks Alisha.

mudraker said:
Lowering your ph is a tricky business and generally not a good idea.

If you have to have discus, check to see what PH they are being kept in at the LFS you buy them from. If it matches yours, you might have a better success rate.

Even discus can acclimate to higher ph levels.

What is a limestone? I just emailed the "discus guy" about his ph level for discus. Just waiting for the reply. Thanks!

Tell me about it...that's why finally decided on a tetra community and got my gourami to get my "big fish" fix.

Limestone is a type of rock.

Coleallensmom said:
Tell me about it...that's why finally decided on a tetra community and got my gourami to get my "big fish" fix.

Limestone is a type of rock.

Is it really going to lower the ph and soften the water? I'm going for a "natural" look.

Do you have angels? Aren't they bigger than gouramis?

I just reread mudraker's post. It doesn't lower the ph.

Is it only the unseasoned driftwood that lowers the ph and softens the water? Or there are more? I don't want to use chemicals.

No Angels as of yet. I have a Blue gourami in my 37 gal. Gouramis come in all different sizes but mine is a "Trichogaster trichopterus" or Three Spot gourami and should get between 4-6 inches. Trouble with gouramis is they can be very territorial when you add more than one, which is why I just have the singleton ;)

Coleallensmom said:
No Angels as of yet. I have a Blue gourami in my 37 gal. Gouramis come in all different sizes but mine is a "Trichogaster trichopterus" or Three Spot gourami and should get between 4-6 inches. Trouble with gouramis is they can be very territorial when you add more than one, which is why I just have the singleton ;)

I just searched it online. Beautiful fish. Do you think I can have that one instead of the pearl?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom