Well...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FWaddict

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well guys, I got 12 mollies for my fish tank... I did research on 'em again. pH of 7.5-8.5, temp from 70-80. My pH is 8.3 and temp is 77.4 F. So I am fine with them, and they should be fine too. I had to go against every fiber of my being, but seeing as my dad is in charge, I had to do a fish cycle. I just got them acclimated and put them in the tank. I used about an hour acclimating them from walmart pH to my pH. Lets cross our fingers... and I don't like to say it but if they die, it could be good for the tank cause when they decompose they will make the ammonia and start my nitrogen cycle. Well... not all of them dying.

Wish me luck with my mollies :)

~andy~

A stable pH is more important than the precise pH recommended for the fish. You were smart to acclimate them to the water's pH. Keep up with water changes if you have the fish in an uncycled tank. Good luck.

Yes sadly they are in an uncycled tank... but I figured if I have to use fish, I'll go with mollies, I used them before and they were great... no one died before. I am really hopin to have quality results like last cycle lol. When I have to acclimate a fish to a different pH I always take more time than most people recommend

If any of them die, do not let them decompose in the tank. It will only harm the other fish. Ammonia and Nitrite levels should always be below 1 ppm. If it goes above that, do an immediate water change. Regarding acclimation, if you buy fish from a lfs that is relatively close to your house, you probably have the same pH. you should always acclimate fish but don't be too concerned abut the pH.

I had to buy the fish from wal-mart... yea another thing I had to go against every fiber of my being. I haven't found any LFS's here in Green Bay/De Pere Wisconsin. I wish I could find some. And I really doubt they would have my same water Fishfanatic because I have well water. Wal-Mart probably has city water which is a diff pH than what I have. No one died yet... they seem happy, I put a couple leafs of lettuce from our garden in the tank. I rinsed them really well and made sure nothing was on them. They have been munching on the lettuce too. They all seem pretty content in my tank, I am just really hoping it goes well. Hehe well I am gonna be gone for the day going birthday shopping... and for my b-day I will be getting fish tank things to say the least ;) hehehe.

They won't have the "same" water but it will be similar in pH. The ground water that you use will be similar to the ground water that the city uses. Unless Wal-Mart is using bottled water, it will be close. pH doesn't change drastically between close areas. Here in the STL area I have found that every lfs I have been to that uses tap (whether well or city) has a high pH. One may be 7.8 and the other may be 8.0, but its similar. The same was true where I used to live (deep Southern Illinois). The Midwest is known to have hard water with a high pH. It's all this pesky limestone. :)

Here's two I found in Green Bay:
Fish Unlimited
1259 S Military Ave
Green Bay, WI 54304
(920) 491-9221

Advanced Aquarium Systems
239 N Broadway
Green Bay, WI 54303
(920) 432-6669

Well, there are several listed. You may want to give some of them a call to make sure they sell fish: http://www.yellowpages.com/De-Pere-WI/Pet-Stores

Yea I'll have to give them a call... sadly the things I wanted to get for my tank were TOO EXPENSIVE!!! So I only bought a couple plastic plants for the time being. I know the cichlids will "adjust" them to their liking but, its for the mollies at the current moment.

Hahaha! Cichlids will be in the future my friend. I guarantee that I will have my Mbuna's :) I am just using the mollies to cycle because my dad is forcing me to :(.

theotheragentm said:
A stable pH is more important than the precise pH recommended for the fish.

I couldn't agree more. I've kept my GBR in water that doesn't fit their "requirements" but he does just fine. Water quality is more important.

Back
Top Bottom