Wet/Dry filter cleaning?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmc

Aquarium Advice Regular
Do any of you folks clean your wet/dry filtration system? I recall reading in another thread concerning high nitrate levels someone suggested cleaning the wet/dry filter. Mine still contains the bioballs that my LFS said to keep in there.

Additionally,

Is this something I should consider to control diatom algae that cleaning crew can't get to? I have an RO/DI system ordered and should be able to make next water change with good water, but not quite sure this will get rid of diatoms that are in overflow components/tubing and wet/dry/sump.

My tank is in its 3rd month and I know the algae bloom is normal but should I be concerned with aglae in my filtration and tubing??

As always, many thanks to all...

JMC

I clean tubing and things once a year or so. Switching to ro/di water will not clear it up all at once, but its gonna help :wink:

What kind of wet/dry do you have? I use the Amiracle Maxi-Reef, and my LFS told me all I had to do was replace the 100-micron filter pads and sponge filter once in a while, swap out the carbon bags on alternating months (I have 2), and vaccum the loose crap out of the bottom of the filter, but to never touch the bio balls. I think most w/d filters are that way. Mine hasn't been up as long as yours, but it works great (avg throughput 400-450 gph).

--AquaBear

Back
Top Bottom