Wet Dry in the basement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob.F

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can I put the trickle filter in the basement? I will have three tanks two 50Gal. one 20Gal.I'm thinking of using Thu the back overflows to one TF then three pumps in the sump one to each tank. I know head presser will be a factor in selecting pumps 10 to 14 feet. This will be for freshwater. My straight jacket size is medium and I have had a number of them sent to me over the years.LOL. IF this can work what size would the wet dry tank be? Can a heater or two be put in the filter tank. where would you put the mechanical filter/s. Or if I'm on the wrong site for this kind of question can you send me a site that is better suited? Thank you for your time.

Welcome to AA!
Yes, you can put your filter in the basement. I have my sump setup in my basement directly under my tank. I would use at least a 30g tank for the filter. You can put all your mechanical filtratation in it along with your heaters. You can also get away with just using 1 high flow return pump and branch it out to return to the 3 tanks. You can either drill the tank and use an external pump or something like a Mag 12 or 18 internal pump, depending on your flow rate and head pressure.

Well I live on a river and the last two springs have made the basement a wading pool just to complicate things more.

an interesting idea you might want to try would be to use a large and tall pvc pipe (like 4" by 5') as a mechanical filter. Have the water headed out of your tanks drop into the top of this with some kind of easy to get to large particle strainer at the top so you can easily clean this, then stuff the rest with bio balls or filter fiber or ceramics, or really anything. Then have the bottom of the pipe sit in your tank. It's over kill in one of the grandest senses, but hey, nothing TOO wrong with over kill.

one main thing you need to keep in mind when using a centralized filtration system, is that if for some reason you get an outbreak in one tank (ich, fungal, etc.) all of your tanks will be effected.

Back
Top Bottom