What are my stocking options?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sydsmom367

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Now that my tank is cycled, I want to add some fish. I know I am limited with a 10 gallon and I can not upgrade at this time. I currently have 2 male guppies that I cycled with, but what else could I put in this tank? I was hoping to add a small school and some ghost shrimp with the guppies. Would this work in a 10 gallon?

Now that my tank is cycled, I want to add some fish. I know I am limited with a 10 gallon and I can not upgrade at this time. I currently have 2 male guppies that I cycled with, but what else could I put in this tank? I was hoping to add a small school and some ghost shrimp with the guppies. Would this work in a 10 gallon?

Well the good things about shrimp is that they have little to no bioload on your filtration, so go for it and get a couple shrimps.

As far as more fish goes, you could absolutely fit a 5/7 member school in there.
Something like:

Cherry Barbs - Males are orange and females are white and brown.
I had a school of 5 in my first 10G, they're tough fish for their size, they managed to live through the hell I put them through.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409172736.997943.jpg

Harlequin Rasboras - these are silver with a bronze tint to them, they have a prominent black triangular marking on them which gave them their names.
I've kept these also, they were the tightest school I've ever seen, never separated.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409172944.642756.jpg

Neon/Cardinal Tetras - I'm sure you've seen these little guys pretty much everywhere.
The Neons upper body is black, their lower rear is red and they have a 'neon' blue strike from head to tail.
The Cardinals are similar, their only difference is that the red stretches from cheek to tail.
These are probably the most common fish in the freshwater part of the hobby. They do like a lot of plant cover though, so consider that.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409173288.126035.jpg

Serpae Tetras - these are a rich brown colour with black finnage and a black spot on their sides.
Serpae's are known to fin nip though, I had them in with Guppies and they caused NO problems but it can happen.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409173430.652504.jpg

Rummynose Tetra - these are mostly silver fish with a red face and black and white patterns on the tail.
They have a bit of a reputation for being a little frail when being added to tanks so you might want to Drip Acclimate them for a few hours when adding.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409173696.939493.jpg

Glowlight Tetra - these are a silver fish with a single red stripe stretching from head to tail (similar to the Neons and Cardinals).
If you don't like blue, take the red ones instead.

I've hit the picture limit... Hmm...

Well, hope I helped somewhat.
Have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Your Tank

Hello mom...

Whatever you get, a tank this small will require a 50 percent water change done twice a week. The water can go bad very quickly in a small tank. I would add some stems of Hornwort. A very good natural water filter. It will help remove all forms of nitrogen from the fish wastes. Helps keep the tank water a bit cleaner between water changes.

B

Wouldn't the shrimp help with water filtration? And where do I find Hornwort?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Whatever you get, a tank this small will require a 50 percent water change done twice a week. The water can go bad very quickly in a small tank.
*sigh* Without knowing the stocking level of the tank there is no real way to know how much water changes are needed. Small tanks don't inherently need more water changes than large tanks.

*sigh* Without knowing the stocking level of the tank there is no real way to know how much water changes are needed. Small tanks don't inherently need more water changes than large tanks.

Ignore him, he's that moron that says any issue can be cured with 12 water changes a day...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So, should I add the shrimp first or the school? And how big of a school can I get?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom