What are the effects of over-stocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheeesymelon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I have a 26 gal tank with a filter that can filter up to 80 gal. I also have 12 x-ray tetras, 5 guppies and 15 neon tetras which all seem to be doing fine. I've had the tank set up for about 9 months but I only put the x-ray tetras in about 4 months a go! None have died and they all seem to be doing fine! I was just worried because I didn't stick to the 1 inch per gal rule so my tank is now "over-stocked" I just wanted to see the effects of over-stocking because I'm a bit worried! By the way I do a 50% water change every week if that helps!
It would be great if you could help, thanks

Hi, I have a 26 gal tank with a filter that can filter up to 80 gal. I also have 12 x-ray tetras, 5 guppies and 15 neon tetras which all seem to be doing fine. I've had the tank set up for about 9 months but I only put the x-ray tetras in about 4 months a go! None have died and they all seem to be doing fine! I was just worried because I didn't stick to the 1 inch per gal rule so my tank is now "over-stocked" I just wanted to see the effects of over-stocking because I'm a bit worried! By the way I do a 50% water change every week if that helps!
It would be great if you could help, thanks

Well first, for future reference, the 1 inch per gallon rule is a totally false and incorrect way of stocking and applies logically in no situations. One day i would love to see it stop being circulated...
To answer your questions directly however, water quality suffers in most cases and can in-turn affect the inhabitants of the tank. This most often happens as more mouths to feed means more waste produced and if theres too much waste then the biological filtration gets overwhelmed and cant handle the influx.
But if were being entirely honest here it doesnt sound to me your tank is that overstocked, if at all. The fish you have produce so little waste and with your big water changes weekly i dont think youll be seeing any adverse affects. You're definitely heavy on the stock, especially with the xray tetras, so watch the fishes and keep the water clean!

Following.

I have a 20 gallon long and currently have 6 cardinal tetras, 4 lemon tetras, 2 Celebes rainbows, 2 platys, a Kribensis, a horseface loach, and an otocinclus. However, I plan on either rehoming the platys or trading them in at my lfs and getting 1 more cardinal tetra, 2 more lemon tetras, 3 more Celebes rainbows, 3 more otocinclus', and 5 green fire tetras. I have an AquaClear 50 filter and a sponge filter rated for up to 40 gallons. Will that much stock with the filters I have in my tank be ok?

Sorry, cheeesymelon for posting this question on your post. I'll remove it if you want.

Back
Top Bottom