What are these?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GSXRDan

Aquarium Advice Regular
First, the plant...this plant showed up like 2 months after I had my tank going. At first I liked it cause it showed my tank could sustain some form of life, but now its getting big and I want it gone. Next, the critters. These guys showed up one day when I flipped the lights on. I thought they were cool but I have no idea what they are. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hopefully, here are some pics
img_343783_0_b337b02153e835773b669688dfe36acb.jpg
img_343783_1_19848c669a6cc0e748fdb341ece39c58.jpg
img_343783_2_12909cee0cbc8308d29c85c510fb7a3f.jpg

I copied and pasted your links. The plant taking over your tank looks like hair algae to me. The only critters I can see are in the third pic and they look like serpent stars. The stars are a good thing. As for the hair algae, what type of water are you using? RO or tap? Have you tested your nitrate and phosphate levels?

I'm talking about the plant in picture 35. In the center, its a brownish/red with a defined stalk and leaves

I use water from a nearby natural spring...i had the water tested at a local fish store before decide to use it and they said it would be fine.

GSXRDan said:
I use water from a nearby natural spring...i had the water tested at a local fish store before decide to use it and they said it would be fine.
Spring water is usually worse than tap. Although it may have passed the standard tests for NH3, NO2 and NO3, it's most likely chalked full of minerals and organic marterials that will fuel algaes like no tommorow.

Wasn't too sure on your pic but I've attached a new image. Wasn't sure if the "Razor caulerpa" was in the tank or part of the background outside the tank. :p

Cheers
Steve

Attachments

• dsc00035_724.jpg
    dsc00035_724.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 120
Back
Top Bottom